Connected speaker wires from one amp into another...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ouch. Too little light in the room and too many wires.

I connected the speaker wires from my Marantz MA-500A into the backside of my new / used Luxman F-114 Surround Amplifier.

As I sat wondering why the Luxman was making a clicking noise instead of the speaker making a musical noise, I turned it off to investigate.

Wonder of wonders, the Marantz nor the Luxman produce no sound when wired (properly, duh) to speakers now.

- everything else in my system is fine. This problem is solely in the Marantz and the Luxman.

- no smoke or burning is evident in the Marantz. I have not yet uncased the Luxman. The center channel of the Luxman still works fine.

- the green 'power on' light on the front of the Marantz does not light up. It will still however power up the next Marantz that is plugged into it.

- the Marantz no longer makes the audible 'click' of what I think is a solinoid engaging when it is turned on.

- the fuse on the Marantz is fine, I did test it.

- I am good with a great many electrical (to a limit) things and mechanical things.

To close, any advice on where I should begin to test and what to test on the Marantz would be appreciated. I can solder, and use a multimeter.

Thanks.

If your lucky, it is a fuse.
If not, you smoked a transistor or two.
NEVER connect two outputs of an amp together! (Now you know!)
Even if you have a stereo amp with the the same signal, for a sub, you would use dual voice coils.
The only time is if the amp were designed for it ~ala a bridge switch.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi buzzman,
With any luck, an internal fuse went on the Marantz. The AC power is not routed through the fuse that (hopefully) opened.

So, you have no power in the Marantz. That may not be your only problem. Don't just try another fuse. Test the output transistors for shorts with your ohmmeter first.

The Luxman needs the same treatment.

Good luck on these. If you have lost some outputs I will not be surprised, also you may have burned the relay contacts in the Marantz.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.