marantz cd4000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody

Currently have a marantz cd4000 everthing works fine apart from
the display says no disc the disc does not spin just twitches a fraction stops and twitches again

Is this a simple vam1201 replacement or could it be board trouble instead .

The laser has been cleaned once with a dry brush disc and with alcohol on a cotton bud still same....

Appreciate any help as dont want to waste money on laser

That does sound like a dead laser. If the laser cant see the disc, that's what happens as it runs through it's focus calibration stage. You should be able to see the laser lens move as it attempts to focus on the disc.

It might be worth trying to adjust the potentiometer on the laser itself - do this carefully though as over adjusting it can kill a working laser.

Ok - thanks for the help so far, and maybe you can help again...

Before finding and replacing all those switches, Ive been checking to see if everything else works - I cleaned the lens with a cotton bud and alcohol but I am getting 2 problems:

1) sometimes it does not recognise a CD (commercial, not CDR) - syas "Disc not finalised" (YouTube)

2) sometimes it looks like its playing but playtime is not changing and no audio (YouTube)

I linked to a couple of short videos I took to clarify what's going on...any ideas? I dont want to go and replace all the switches if there is something more fundamental wrong!

Thanks
John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.