4th Ed. of Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook (Doug Self)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hmm yes DS's book, whilst doing a great service to distortion mechs., is not very comprehensive in other areas, the updates are far too long coming, and still don't address those, I wonder why it takes him so long?

Whilst a great book, I do get the impression its 'this is the only way to do an amp, my way, and if its not a blameless amp, its rubbish'

no treatise on other methods of stabilisation, nothing on other kinds of distortion: IMD, slewing types, I would like to see it as a complete treatise on amp design, sadly it falls short here.

mikeks said:
Is the section on class-D comprehensive?

I have just been browsing a copy: There are 2 new chapters, one on the design of DC servos (12 pages) and another on Class D (9 pages). From my untutored standpoint, the Class D section is by DS's own admission "more of a snapshot of a fast-moving scene", i.e. it's a pretty lightweight overview of the technology - no designs or anything like that, and no detailed maths/analysis.

I'll probably buy it for the corrections etc. to the previous edition, rather than the new content...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.