Yamaha RX-V490 Amp Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Yamaha RX-V490 receiver powers on but the audio from any component is very low and filled with pops and static. I can barely hear any audio output. This is the same when the output is through the speakers or the headphone jack. I connected a tape deck to it and plugged the headphones in to the jack on the tape deck. The sound was clear with zero static, but the volume knob on the receiver has no effect on the volume of the music when listening through the tape deck's jack.

I've been told that it's probably an amplifier section problem but will need a service manual to attempt to replace the amp ic's, if possible. I would appreciate any advice if repairing it myself is possible. I have some experience repairing audio components but am definitely not an expert. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could email a service manual to har2k@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Manual

If you don't get any hits for a manual . You can try Ebay store -Vintage Audio Manuals - his moniker is techman777. I've bought yamaha manuals from him before" excellent reproductions". Did you say both channels popping and crackling. You may just have a powersupply problem. Hard to say without a schematic diagram.:)

har2k said:
My Yamaha RX-V490 receiver powers on but the audio from any component is very low and filled with pops and static. I can barely hear any audio output. This is the same when the output is through the speakers or the headphone jack. I connected a tape deck to it and plugged the headphones in to the jack on the tape deck. The sound was clear with zero static, but the volume knob on the receiver has no effect on the volume of the music when listening through the tape deck's jack.

I've been told that it's probably an amplifier section problem but will need a service manual to attempt to replace the amp ic's, if possible. I would appreciate any advice if repairing it myself is possible. I have some experience repairing audio components but am definitely not an expert. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could email a service manual to har2k@yahoo.com. Thanks.

I do have a RXV590 service manual.Are you interested???

In response to Xeaglekeeper, yes, both channels are popping and hissing when the volume is turned past 15% (anything other than very low). Can you tell me what the large electrolytics in the power supply section would look like and I'll take a look.

In response to Leolabs, I would appreciate the service manual for the RX-V590. It seems very similar to the RX-V490. If you could email it to me at har2k@yahoo.com it would be extremely helpful. I've repaired some electronics before but this is my first shot at a receiver repair. Thanks for all the replies.

They look like plastic coated aluminum cans approx. 1 " or more in dia. and 2.5"-3.5 " or more tall. May look similar to photo in size and shape,Color maybe different. Probably two identical or maybe four. They will be the largest of there kind inside the unit.Look for oily fluid leaking onto the printed circuit board under them. Or swelled up like" a can of soda left in the freezer".Or the plastic cover has shrunk down.;)

Attachments

• cap1.jpg
    cap1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 168
Xeaglekeeper, please see the attached photo of what I think are the large electrolytics that you mentioned. There is a white fluid (dry) under both of them, running onto the circuit board. Please confirm that this is what I think it is and if it is, what I need to do to replace them and if I need to somehow clean the gunk off of the circuit board. I appreciate any help that you can give. Thanks.

Attachments

• dcp_0006.jpg
    dcp_0006.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 154
Yes those are the caps I was refurring to. Looks like that white stuff is and adhesive typically applied to the large caps . But the one on the left looks suspect to me, hard to tell from photo .Note what appears to be white dried powder near the resistors(lower arrow)could be leakage. Do you have and O'scope?

Attachments

• cap5.jpg
    cap5.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 108
Xeaglekeeper, I looked at it again and there is no rupture. It is a reflection. The dried white powder near the resistor is also a reflection. I don't have an O'scope.

jleaman, thanks for the suggestion. Can you tell me what the speaker protection relay looks like and its general location.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Well ,you need to find out if you have all your voltages present from the power supply. Im looking at a schematic RX-V630/730 (very close to the same rated power of your unit.And judging by the rated voltage of the large caps you should have around 44-48 + and - vdc . this voltage should be present on the collectors of all of the output transistors. There are also secondary supplys of + and - 5vdc,12vdc. Hopefully you have access to dmm( digital multimeter) . Did you download the schematic diagram and are you familiar with the symbols and how to read the diagrams? Relays typically look like small 1"x 1/2" plastic cubes.

I appreciate the advice but I think I'm getting in over my head with anything other than a fairly simple fix. I don't have the necessary tools or the knowledge to do what you recommend. Looks like a trip to the repair man is in the cards. Thanks for the help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.