bobby the 60w mosfet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jacco vermeulen said:

You're welcome, nice to see a sense of humor.

The SE chassis made by Fox on your forum is very impressive.
(that Maria Gorin in Moscow is cute, i should get back into Tai Chi, Chi Kung and NLP stuff)

I will go to Aikido today (did not go an year approximately, I'm afraid to break my neck!) :D
That "impressive chassis" was a pure class A 2x100W with about a kilowatt consumption. It was my attempt to hit the bottom. I did, and discovered that despite my musical hearing is better than an average, I don't hear differences between pure class A and 3-step approximation version of Swinik. It was a hot summer, and I put it in garage, I did not need additional sounding heater when my airconditioning system was broken.
Now I think of building 2x500W on the chassis... 6E1P tubes on top of the tower glow and wink impressive, unfortunately I did not take a picture before taking filter cans from it.

ilimzn said:

I'm sorry but this is not true. DACs are not inside a feedback loop, neither can you hang an anti-alias or reconstruction filter at the output of your amp. Also you can't really say that a DAC transfer function changes with amplitude, or that it changes gain. I really don't see how you can compare the two.

They both are fast switching between something. And both perform approximation. ;)

If some components are widely available in one field, they are cheaper to use in other. For example, HEXFETs developed for switching power supplies and transistors developed for video amplifiers are cheap to use in audio, together with especially developed for audio Hitachi and Motorola BJTs. Also, vacuum tubes developed for military and TV purposes are cheap and may be well used for audio, together with other cool stuff.

ilimzn, my apologies for the "college", you are a brilliant engineer.

To earn an excuse, I'll post schematics of Swinik-II (2-step approximation using modern components) and Swinik-III (3-step approximation wit IR HEXFETs) later. But I am sure, you can design something similar or better using open mind, without looking back over the shoulder to comply with well-established beliefs! ;)

Jogndiy, sorry for partially hijacked thread, I did not expect such discussion posting to your amp hello from 1977! It uses the same voltage amplification stage, but with better impedance matching, taking more power from it. :)

Impedance missmatch is a common mistake, people often underestimate loss of power in stages getting as the result less dynamic range and more distortions.

bobby2

Attachments

• bobby2.jpg
    bobby2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 209
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.