Long cables from PSU to power amp OK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tcpip said:

I was hoping to use one large transformer to power both active speakers --- I already have the txfmr, salvaged from something else. Therefore, a single separate PSU equidistant from both speakers becomes necessary. If I can't make it work, I'll have to buy two txfmrs and keep this one unused.

However, I'm open to pushing AC down the power cables and moving the rectifiers and cap banks into the speakers.

Also, these are Gainclone-based speakers being built by a beginner (me), so I'm looking for stability and decent sound (no audible hum, etc). Any compromise within these limits is okay for this project, IMHO.

Any comments/help will be welcome. :)

Using a single transformer in this manner is is a recipe for hum, stability issues, and not to mention noise pickup. I won't say it can't be done, but I won't happen with the amp grounding schemes repeated most regularly on this site. Just map out the grounding required between the source components, the power supplies and any bypassing. The external transformer for each amp will be a challenge enough for a beginner.

Actually developing a proper grounding scheme for this scenario would be a good do it yourself type experiment. Start with a quiet single supply amp and separate the supply and the two channels as this thread is discussing, see what happens and what approach is required to satisfy noise and stability issues.

I'll put it on my list...

Regards, Mike.

Same idea. . .different equipmet

Hello all. . .I've been following this disscussion
and I will be doing something very similar with
a preamplifer and its transformer. I want to
move the transformer out of the main box
to reduce heat within the box.

My solution is to use a 5-pin DIN for the secondary
taps and a standard plug for the transformer box.

This may help. . . .

Chris Browne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.