Noisy Motorised volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys

One of my integrated's motorised volume control has become excessively noisy with crackles, dropouts and sudden bursts of volume. This has been so for a few weeks and probably due to lack of use. When I noticed the problem, I 'exercised' the pot by rapidly turning it left to right over the full range for a minute or so and this helped a bit, but not any longer.

I have Kontakt 60 contact cleaner. Will this be OK to use here, obviously waiting until it has evaporated before switching on again.

Thanks for advice & best regards to all!

bulgin

A drop of sewing machine oil in each variable resistor usually does the trick - the fix lasting anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months.

Seen several say good things about 'Deoxit'. Haven't tried the stuff since it's not available where I live, but if there's some of it where you are, you could give it a try.

Logically it should be a cleaner, followed by a lubricant...

Cheers!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi bulgin,
Make sure to apply the cleaner to the slip ring. Try to avoid the carbon track. The slip ring is where the noise comes from. The lubricant on the carbon track should be protected if possible. Use a needle dripper. You do not need very much solution to do the job properly.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.