Randy Slone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope this answers your question. Are you asking about a specific amp or any one of hs designs? He has a few books published with several versions of high and low power amps scattered about the book.

I built a small 12 watt version that was described in his book "Electricity and Electronics". It uses a LTP as the input stage and TIP 31 and 32 power transistors as the output stage. It sounded OK. It oscillated the first time I set it up, but I fixed it by shielding the input. I even built a lower power version using 2n4920 and 2n4923 transistors as the output stage and it actually sounded better.

I don’t have any sophisticated test equipment (just a multimeter), so my assessment of it is based on my ears and subjective comparisons to commercial amps. I built it to use for a guitar, and also tested it with a Walkman type CD player as a musical signal source. (Can't check voltage and current while playig a guitar...)

Regards

Slaon

I don’t own that book, but was thinking of getting it. There were a few reviews on Amazon.com that said the book was full of errors. (Though who knows if they were qualified to decide that point). Have you read it, and is it a good book? I’m looking to expand my knowledge of audio, and the book sounded good, but I don’t want to build projects if it’s full of mistakes.

I Give It A 7.5 On 1 TO10 Scale. He Has About Ten Designs
In It Mostly Class B , And One Class A

He Talks About Input Stage To Output Stage Chapter By
Chapter ,How To Get THD Down , Lots Of Topologys I
Enjoyed It Alot!

I'd Like To Read About Diy Preamps Or Diy CD Players
Know Any Books On That? :confused:

Sorry, I don't know any books on those subjects. Rod Elliots site (ESP sound products) has some good info on preamps (but you probably already know that) but I don’t know any about DYI CD players. The magazine Nuts and Volts had an article on a DYI MP3 player in the fall of last year - it was a project, but no much about the theory.

Thanks for the info. I might get the book.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.