looking for a signal generator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ahmad_tbp,
Try to find an old B&K 3020 or similar. It's not the cleanest sinewave, but you are looking for a function generator.

If you need a better sine wave, any oscillator will work, build a gate controller by another circuit (555 timer) for your burst controller.

-Chris

hi anatech , and thanx for reply
i never worked with a generator before or never build one , i know nothing bout them , i wanna build one ( as u said a function generatr ) for a friend of mine , so do u have any schematic , article or any thing that can help me plz ? :)

hi sy , yeah i have a sound card !!! ( one of the best old ones!! ) , and already have a very usefull tone generator software with all i need , as i said ,one friends of mine saw this software and ask me if i can build a circuit , doin like this software , so i wanna build him one ! lol :D
i found this circuit : http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/meas/ck102.pdf
, how is it ? and how can i change the freq in this circuit ?
and one thing else , any idea how to give this circuit a pulse generator control ???

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ahmad_tbp,
The resistor, R5 varies the frequency. Your output sine wave will be poor with that circuit.

Why not use the XR2206 there are many links for it, as well as the data sheet. Or you can use the XR8038 that does the same thing. It's all in a chip for you and better than was the link you posted will give in performance.

-Chris

SY said:
Do you have a sound card on your computer? If so, you've got yourself a sine wave generator.

TureAudio's freeware version will give you a sine-wave generator.

In fact, if you have access to some opamps and a '555 timer (NE555 or LM555) you can make a pulse generator or sinewave generator. Search "NE555 Circuits" or "555 Circuits Mims" on google.

To get a good sinewave out of an NE555 you have to take a pair of opamps and configure as a 4th order low-pass filter after the output pin (3) of the NE555.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jackinnj,
The only problem with that approach I can see is that it has to be a tracking filter for variable frequencies out. Output level instability may result.

A tuneable wien bridge may work, but the one chip wonders seem to address the problem directly. You can gate the output on and off with a 555 type squarewave oscillator. This statisfies all the requirements.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Al,
That is a second sourced 8038, isn't it? I agree they go together easily.

-Chris

SY,
Ahmad_tbp wanted to build a stand alone for a friend I think as well.
and already have a very usefull tone generator software with all i need , as i said ,one friends of mine saw this software and ask me if i can build a circuit , doin like this software , so i wanna build him one ! lol
From post #6. It appears also that Ahmad_tbp already does this, I guess??

-Chris

I dislike that circuit. Not only is it a lousy triangle to sine converter, it's single rail with no blocking capacitors, which means all the waveforms will have a massive DC offset. Even with a battery, it would be so easy to avoid this.
A comparator (ordinary op amp with no feedback) between the triangle output and a voltage set by a pot would give a variable mark space ratio pulse, and you could probably get sawteeth out of it with a little effort, but all 0 to+ve voltage, no ± 1volt.
Oh, I do have all the circuits on hand, if ever, but no ready-made PCB; I'd have to build one on veroboard (and probably add a pink noise source for luck)

hi all , thx for replies
i ll never find a XR2206 here ! lol :p
and if i wanna be honest , i couldn t understand anything of ur posts :p ,
as i said i m so virgin in tone generator , and lookin for a simple circuit of sinewave generator a pulse function :( .... any idea ? any link ? :(

pinkmouse said:
...I really must get around to rebuilding the output buffer...

If I remember correctly, there was a project with MAX038 published a while back in a German magazine, ELV I think. The output (disrete) buffer used in the project was quite something and if you're interested I may be able to dig it up for you.

Ahmad:

You can order sample IC MAX038 on the manufacturer's site (Maxim). There you can also find application notes and other useful info about the chip.

Regards,
Milan

EDIT: Ooops, last time I visited the site it was still alive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.