diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Solid State (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   looking for a signal generator (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/86125-looking-signal-generator.html)

pinkmouse 8th September 2006 04:13 PM

I built one with the MAX038 chip on perfboard, very straightforward.

anatech 8th September 2006 04:38 PM

Hi Al,
That is a second sourced 8038, isn't it? I agree they go together easily.

-Chris

SY,
Ahmad_tbp wanted to build a stand alone for a friend I think as well.
Quote:

and already have a very usefull tone generator software with all i need , as i said ,one friends of mine saw this software and ask me if i can build a circuit , doin like this software , so i wanna build him one ! lol
From post #6. It appears also that Ahmad_tbp already does this, I guess??

-Chris

chrispenycate 8th September 2006 05:14 PM

I dislike that circuit. Not only is it a lousy triangle to sine converter, it's single rail with no blocking capacitors, which means all the waveforms will have a massive DC offset. Even with a battery, it would be so easy to avoid this.
A comparator (ordinary op amp with no feedback) between the triangle output and a voltage set by a pot would give a variable mark space ratio pulse, and you could probably get sawteeth out of it with a little effort, but all 0 to+ve voltage, no 1volt.
Oh, I do have all the circuits on hand, if ever, but no ready-made PCB; I'd have to build one on veroboard (and probably add a pink noise source for luck)

moamps 8th September 2006 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by anatech
That is a second sourced 8038, isn't it? I agree they go together easily.
IC MAX038 is, IMO, completely different from 8038. IC MAX038 is a relatively new function-generator chip which can generate frequencies up to 20MHz.

Regards,
Milan

pinkmouse 8th September 2006 07:53 PM

Yes, it's a very nice stable source. I really must get around to rebuilding the output buffer that has a slight ring on square waves, but it's just too useful to take apart! :)

Ahmad_tbp 8th September 2006 07:58 PM

hi all , thx for replies
i ll never find a XR2206 here ! lol :P
and if i wanna be honest , i couldn t understand anything of ur posts :P ,
as i said i m so virgin in tone generator , and lookin for a simple circuit of sinewave generator a pulse function :( .... any idea ? any link ? :(

anatech 8th September 2006 08:02 PM

Thank you,
I must try one of these things. I was lead to believe they were another 8038 device.

Now I'll grab the datasheet.

-Chris

anatech 8th September 2006 08:06 PM

Hi Ahmad_tbp,
I left you some google search pages a few posts back, some that linked to the data sheet on each device.

Here is a similar link to the MAX038 and the data sheet is here .
After this is no longer available, one might ask, Where have all the cool chips gone?

-Chris

moamps 8th September 2006 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pinkmouse
...I really must get around to rebuilding the output buffer...
If I remember correctly, there was a project with MAX038 published a while back in a German magazine, ELV I think. The output (disrete) buffer used in the project was quite something and if you're interested I may be able to dig it up for you.

Ahmad:

You can order sample IC MAX038 on the manufacturer's site (Maxim). There you can also find application notes and other useful info about the chip.

Regards,
Milan

EDIT: Ooops, last time I visited the site it was still alive.

anatech 8th September 2006 08:11 PM

Hi Milan,
That chip is no longer recommended for new design. There may not be any samples available. Too bad, because I was about to order one. I hope Digikey or Newark still have a few.

-Chris