Looking for Parts Source - Trannys & Heatsinks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm considering building a SS power-amp to replace one of my Phase Linear 400s. This is not for any practical reason, as I love my PL amps, but I'd enjoy the project. This would be my first SS amp. However, I built my tube mono-blocks using CAE boards. The amp under consideration is Anthony Holton's AV400. The amp will be part of my tri-amped hifi system and drive the HF JBL 2405 ring radiators.

I'm looking for a U.S. source for the heat sinks and power supply transformer.

While function is the first order of business, aesthetics are very important. When finished, I want this to be a trophy class looking amp. Haven't decided if I'll build a rack mount enclosure or a free-standing case.

Don

djk said:
I have to question the sanity of someone that intends to build that big of an amp to drive 105dB/W tweeters that can only handle 20W RMS, 40W program.

Fair question! The mono-blocks that drive my L100s are only 60 W RMS. If I like the amp It will end up driving my subs. I will then build another "smaller" amp for the ring radiators.

As for my sanity… My parole officer thinks I'm doing well, my psychiatrist believes there's hope, the new drugs are great, I've stopped wearing dresses and hanging out puppet shows. What more can I say!

Don

PSU and heatsinks

Aussie amps are promising a dual channel SMPS in the near future.

Don't know the details of the PSU, but some of the features I would look for are PFC ( Power facter correction ), soft start, over current protection and dual regulation ( one regulator for posative and negative rail ).

This would make shipping the PSU much easier.

The PSU module is sourced from ClassD. That is a good thing in it's favor.

If it is good enough for Halcro...

Also if can deal with some fundamental issues. However now you have to fight the EMI issues.

If you want to go linear then there are several good us suppliers,

Piltron - www.piltron.com
Avel - www.avellindberg.com

I have always had good performance from the Avel toroids, I haven't used a Piltron for a while.

Depending on your aim and preferences, you may try and get a fully shielded E core.

I have no domestic suppliers.

Heatsinks... I would aim for something that matches your case.

Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.