Radio Shack Accurian Receiver, quality of amp? (pics inside)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought this Accurian Powerline home amplifier from Radio Shack today. You are supposed to use it to transmit and receieve audio through your powerline. They clearenced it from $150 to $20, so I couldn't pass up the offer to listen to it. Anyway, when I got home I opened it up and noticed it is a rebadged ST&T iMicro 84. I removed the powerline receiver, and took pictures of the amp section. The toroid is 28v-0-28v, 2A. Anyone care to comment on the quality of this amp design?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Please, tschanrm...having schematic send it to me

As i have a bunch of those transistors shown in your nice images.

Very good images.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• pict0005la2.jpg
    pict0005la2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,930
Sorry Carlos, I don't have a schematic, as this is a mass produced component. Maybe you could try e-mailing St&t (www.stt.com.tw), the maker of this amp. Some listening observations:

There is no center marking on the bass/treble knobs, and also no center detent on the pots. This makes it hard to tell if the bass and treble are flat. You can solve this by completely bypasing the front knobs and just using this as a straight amp.

There is a slight ground hum, and I'm trying to figure out why that is. For $20, this makes a perfect garage stereo/ outside amp. I agree, this amp could be easily modified to sound better.

It works, and it's a very easy mod. Sound quality seems to be fine. My hookup is PC soundcard to amplifier to DIY speakers. There's no hum, but some hiss when turned up with no source connected.

I'm thinking of ordering another one for the TV.

Attachments

• accurian2.jpg
    accurian2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,476
kec, thanks for the link to the mod. It's time to void the warranty.

No problem. We don't need no stinkin' warranty!

I just bought the last one for US$20 from the local RS store.

You can still get these from RS online. I just got 2 shipped from Texas and shipping was only $8 for both units, not a bad deal at all.

My next step will be to bypass/remove the bass treble tone controls. Upgrade the volume pot to a better one. And maybe upgrade some of the critical parts with better ones.

-Ken

I picked up one today. With the modification complete, the amp is running. I must say the power supply parts are worth the $20 I spent. If worst comes to worst, I have a complete power supply for my next gainclone. I think I will bypass the preamp section entirely. The easiest way to do that is to splice the rca jack wire with the L center R on the amp board? Hopefully this is a 50 Hz high pass filter on the preamp board, just thinking.

I think I will get two more amps today.

I love the idea of a complete power supply for $20.

I'm on the Accurian bus as well. My intention is to use it as BillH has with his PC. I have not built the speakers yet, but I am thinking of a set of Aurasound NS3-193-8A's.

My next step will be to bypass/remove the bass treble tone controls. Upgrade the volume pot to a better one. And maybe upgrade some of the critical parts with better ones.
Being a Newbie, could you please keep me (us) posted on what (and why) those mods will be? This is my first foray into the innards of such a device and Id' love to learn the art of tinkering.

thanks
aia

This weekend I completely removed the control board (volume, tone controls). I replaced the volume pot with a Radio Shack (271-1732) 100K Alps pot that I had laying around (the stock pots are 100K).

It appears there are 4.7uF input caps (electrolytic) on the control board, so I added 2 Solen 4.3uF poly caps to the input of the Alps pot.

Being a Newbie, could you please keep me (us) posted on what (and why) those mods will be?

Usually, the idea is to remove any components in the signal path that would degrade the audio signal. Since this amp has tone controls in the path, this IMO degrades the signal - so out it goes.

Although the RS Alps pot isn't considered a "good" pot, it's certainly better that the stock one. At one time Professor Leach thought the RS Alps was a decent pot - at least for his amp that is.

So, how does it sound? Very good IMO. Definately better than the stock arrangment. My source is an unmodified PS1 with output from the A/V connector - haven't done any mods yet.

One other mod will be the speaker connections. I'll try to find some better binding posts that will fit the chassis.

I'll post some pics when I get done.

-Ken

kec,
thanks for the mod update. The concept of keeping the signal path uncluttered seems logical.

It appears there are 4.7uF input caps (electrolytic) on the control board, so I added 2 Solen 4.3uF poly caps to the input of the Alps pot.

I presume that you can use the 4.3uF caps in place of the 4.7uF caps because the value difference is under 10% and that the poly caps are more desirable than electrolytic caps?

aia

Today, I bypass the preamp section. I hooked the amp to an AD815 preamp. I agree with kec, the more junk you take out of signal path, the better the sound (all those 4.7 elec and IC in path). It is a big improvement (smoother). I think a simple Jfet buffer and preamp would do right by this amp. BTW there is an 18k resistor in parallel with the 100k pot. The dc offset at output changed a little,one channel went from 0 to .3mv the other went from 4.8mv to .3mv. With upgrades,I think this amp would make a good gift. I got two more today, looking to get more over the weekend.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.