Using The Tektronix 575 Curve Tracer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have my recently aquired $20.00 Tektronix 575 up and running pretty well.... Has anyone on this site ever used a curve tracer.... I would like to use it for matching devices in several parameters. I am still awaiting the proper 10X10 graticule for it but I thought I'd post this and see if anyone can give any pointers about using one of these. I do have the manuals for it but its pretty easy tog et lost... and because of the 1959 date on the scope I would assume the book was surely written with testing germanium devices in mind. I know these can deal with any modern silicon device including MOSFETs and FET devices....

The display shows an MJE15033 transistor under low current test. The 575 can supply up to 200 volts and 2 amps of current for testing devices. I already truipped the front panel breaker once testing this device but it has survived my brutality.

Thanks in advance for any tips!!
Mark

Attachments

• tea153~1 copy.jpg
    tea153~1 copy.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 513
Actually I might leave the dymo label there for now... I almost blew up one MJE15033 already... actually pooped the front panel breaker out and that device got blazingly hot but did not fail. So for now its not that bad of a reminder not to put up to 200 volts at 1 amp through the device under test:eek: .

The scope only cost me 20 bucks but the shipping was another $50.00. It actually worked right out of the box but needed alot of potentiometer and switch contact cleaning, and 5 new toobes... its an early SN unit,3275 and was built in the late 50's and was last calibrated in 1979 by Tektronix. Even the electrolytics are good... no noise at all on the Power supply lines... now thats great equipment life!

Really... this is a managable number of toobes for a TEK scope. I believe that my 535 has something like 89 toobes in it for a dual sweep - dual trace 15 mhz scope. I have always loved these old toobe scopes, they are almost works of art. The build quality, ease of operation, and multi decade life span speaks volumes as to how smart the engineers were that designed and built them.

Marc...
If you want one just watch E-bay... Do a search for Tektronix Curve Tracer. There are also usually some newer style units available for those not desiring to operate a toobe farm.. I;m just awaiting the correct 10X10 graticule to arrive so I can take accurate readings off the screen.

Mark

These old transistor curve tracers basically test the transistors in a common emitter configuration. They step the base current through a range of steps and sweep the collector to emitter voltage and display the collector current. Each curve on the plots you have shown is for a specific base current. (You set this with a knob on the curve tracer; you probably know this.) I don't think it matters if the transistor are Ge or Si.

Since the input to the DUT is current, not voltage, it won't work for FETs.

Is anyone still using these? I picked one up a few years ago, needed a bunch of 6AN8s and 6AL5s. Ordered the tubes and they are still sitting on the self. I know where a couple of the 175s (high current adapter) are and wonder if it's worth picking one of those up. Matching transistors is a big subject on this forum and I wonder if the 575 is the way to do it.

Craig

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.