Using The Tektronix 575 Curve Tracer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rtirion,

I know where a couple of them are and that's all I know. I don't even know what the price is. Next time I'm in that area I'll stop in and check them out. I do know they don't have any 575s to go with the 175s so they may not even know what they are.

Craig

I have my recently aquired $20.00 Tektronix 575 up and running pretty well.... Has anyone on this site ever used a curve tracer.... I would like to use it for matching devices in several parameters. I am still awaiting the proper 10X10 graticule for it but I thought I'd post this and see if anyone can give any pointers about using one of these. I do have the manuals for it but its pretty easy tog et lost... and because of the 1959 date on the scope I would assume the book was surely written with testing germanium devices in mind. I know these can deal with any modern silicon device including MOSFETs and FET devices....

The display shows an MJE15033 transistor under low current test. The 575 can supply up to 200 volts and 2 amps of current for testing devices. I already truipped the front panel breaker once testing this device but it has survived my brutality.

Thanks in advance for any tips!!
Mark

There is a nice irony in using a 36 tube unit to measure transistors. I have an old Heathkit IT-1121 curve tracer which has paid for itself over the years in the occasional 'tough dog'. The Heath tracer is limited to 40 watts drive, 40V @1A or 200V @ 200mA but it's sufficient to prove the point.

The TEK 575 is a wonderful unit. First used one professionally in 1966. Owned one in the 70's-90's. Finally, the master transformer failed. Still, it is a wonderful unit, but not necessarily for super matching. Actually DC meters do that better, BUT voltage breakdown, matching mosfets, and general characteristics of devices, are great in this unit. Try a tunnel diode, sometime.

Wow, I really should get me one. It matches great with my Tektronix scope from the early '60s.. Or was it mid '50s?
It's a RM-15, which is the same as the 545 (if I recall correctly). Those things are beautiful inside. A delay line of 30 cm long, probably all handmade. If I sold my house I might be able to afford one of those babys when they were new.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.