JLH 10W audio amp help with parts substitutions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im new here, but i just tried building my own version of the JLH 10W class A amplifier shown in figure 3 of
http://sound.westhost.com/jll_hood.htm

I had to make some parts substitiutions, Basically I
1. Subsitituted the output transistors (MJ480s) for 2N3055's
2. substituted the 2N3906 for a 2N2907
Substitued the 2n697 for a 4401 NPN transistor

I ran a spice model using thesubstituted parts using LT's switchercadIII and it looked like it would work no problem, but when I prototyped it, I found that at about 15 volts, there would be some sound, but it would be somewhat distorted.

Also when I brought up the voltage to around 22 volts, which is where I ran the simulation, the idle current rose to about .8 amps, what was predicted in the simulation, but the audio level faded away to nothing, (unpredicted).

So I have an amp that makes noise, and not much else. The Oscilliscope shows that when the voltage is too low, (around 10 volts) there is clipping on the upper half of the signal, and when it is too high, there is too much clipping on the lower half of the signal...

Any help would be appreciated, I am a little confused with this design, as the modifications I have made to it under simulation show that there should be no effect, but it does not work.....

Thanks for your advice, Im still playing with it and I have it working a little better than before... I think my biggest problem is the radio shack parts, which i have already learned, usually have really strange values. Thanks for your advice, I tried building it twice, and I double checked everything, since its not the design, I might try a similar design to see if something else works. I will keep you posted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.