pre-out vs rec-out ...same thing or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone please comment on the differences between: (1)pre-out vs. (2) rec-out vs. (3) DAT rec-out ...for purposes of sending a signal to a powered subwoofer.

Are the signal levels approximately the same among these three different types of outputs? If so, are there other differences that I should be aware of?

Thanks!!!

Reactions: 1 user
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
roger2 said:
Could someone please comment on the differences between: (1)pre-out vs. (2) rec-out vs. (3) DAT rec-out ...for purposes of sending a signal to a powered subwoofer.

Are the signal levels approximately the same among these three different types of outputs? If so, are there other differences that I should be aware of?

Thanks!!!

Pre-out is generally variable by the volume control. The others normally are fixed in level (sometimes adjustable). The exact levels vary somewhat from equipment to equipment from less than a volt to several volts RMS. Best to check in the manual or try it out.

Jan Didden

OK

...makes sense now.

The reason I asked is that I have two integrated amps...only one of which has pre-outs...so that is the one I will use.

I am assuming it will be OK to use RCA "Y" to split the signal from the pre-outs. I need to feed the sub as well as the amplifier's main input.

Is using the "Y" the correct way to go here?

Thanks again....

Does the amp use those heavy wire jumpers from the "Pre-Out" to the "Main-in" jacks?

Some amplifiers (Like my Sansui AU-7900) use a switch to seperate the two "halves" of the amp.. You can leave the switch in the "connected" position,and just run RCA cables from the "Pre-Out" jacks to the sub or whatever,without needing to fiddle with Y-cables and whatnot.

I absolutely *love* the Pre-out/Main-in feature...I don't think I'll ever own/build another integrated amp without it!

Status
Not open for further replies.