NAD 705 Troubleshooting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All:

I just got a down-and-out NAD 705 receiver. The origanal owner had given up.

I'm new to this, thanks in advance for the advice.... I have to replace the lamps, that was easy enough to find. The protection circuit seems to work, unit powers up. I hear the output relays working. Once I figured out the input selector w/o help of the backlight lamps, I had a working receiver.

Problem: One channel is quieter than the other. I tested between A and B outputs, same result. Duh. I tested AUX and CD, same result. Now, I crossed the pre-outs and in and I got the quiet channel to switch sides. Hmmmm. That tells me I am looking for something messed up in the pre-amp. ????. What device in the preamp would cause all inputs to be quiet on one side? I can't see anything burned up or broken off hand. Not that I would expect, it works but has a gain screwed up or something. Any recommendations?

Thanks again. I AM looking for a good read on the subject....

Also, DC output on the amp channels read 20 mV and 40 mV. I have not tested putting another preamp OUT into the IN of the power amp section. I guess that would verify function of the power amps.

The various preamp level adjustments seem to be clean and functional. Moving them did not cause any level variations or indicate a problem.

jocko

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jocko,
On some of these units they use a soft clipping circuit. It can cause trouble easily.

Try a "Y" plug from the pre out into the power amp input so you have a true mono signal. Is there still a level difference?

-Chris

Also, welcome to DiyAudio!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.