Power Follower 99

If there is no pcb available I will produce it.

This is a very good circuit, it is used by many people in the world.

The amplifier is also used for loudspeakers review by Daniel Zamberlan

HiFi Werkstatt Hoer-Wege DAC-UP-PCM1794 ? VideoHiFi

Manger Zerobox Mod. 109 ? VideoHiFi

If youre the author of the super linear headphone amp, how about a nice modern and compact PCB for that circuit. A parts upgrade like the Opamp would be in order as well.

Very few people here seem to know that this circuit is excellent, I built that circuit on veroboard as experiment, with the consequence that it sent nearly all my other headphone amps into retirement, including very expensive tube ones. Just kept a tubey for the show of it.

Super Linear Headphone Amplifier

If youre the author of the super linear headphone amp, how about a nice modern and compact PCB for that circuit. A parts upgrade like the Opamp would be in order as well.

Very few people here seem to know that this circuit is excellent, I built that circuit on veroboard as experiment, with the consequence that it sent nearly all my other headphone amps into retirement, including very expensive tube ones. Just kept a tubey for the show of it.

Yes, I am the author of the Super Linear Headphone Amplifier

the Headphone amplifier

the best components to build this project should be these:

THAT Corporation 300-series Low-Noise Matched Transistor Array ICs

but these are not cheap and these are not easy to find

Distortion, damping and general performance will be dreadful.

Can you tell from those qualities how it sound? Have you heard Andrea's circuit? Do you really think he is not a clever person?

You might be surprised how good lots of 'bad' circuits sound - JLH 10W Class A, any single ended triode for example.

Why? Is THD critical to the sound quality?

Your comment is shallow, and shows you need to think carefully about the technology and how sound quality is assessed.

Hugh

Can you tell from those qualities how it sound? Have you heard Andrea's circuit? Do you really think he is not a clever person?

You might be surprised how good lots of 'bad' circuits sound - JLH 10W Class A, any single ended triode for example.

Why? Is THD critical to the sound quality?

Your comment is shallow, and shows you need to think carefully about the technology and how sound quality is assessed.

Hugh

Oh please come on. It really is tiring. If you want distortion/colour then you'll never find 'the sound' it's a goose chase - forget it. If you want to actually make great sounding kit and not waste time and money on circuits like these and pointless low powered class a amps then actually do some research and learn for yourself. Hi Fi manufacturers are off limits. Use your brain for once.

" a waste of time " ... ??

Wifey want's a headphone amp built into the "new" amp. I was looking at this circuit .....
then someone comes along and ruins my day with the above statement.

Guess I'll run it through the simulator anyhow , can't let one opinion ruin all
the fun.

PS- reverse engineered vintage Japanese amp's are VERY musical ! I salute
the engineers.

OS

Aha, a student, you clearly think you know everything.......

I hope you are paying your own bills!

Hugh

Not everything , but I've built a few.

I pay the bills of others... as well ! :D

As far as "musical distortion" , I have both the uber low THD "badgers"
and the "low-fi" sansui - I can switch "A/B" .... they have different
character.

This headphone amp I have fathomed .... (below) Only .02% 20khz with
NO NFB ! I move fast.

Ha! - might run the core of this amp into a triple OPS - fun, fun, fun....

OS

Attachments

• headphone.asc
    8.3 KB · Views: 307
  • Hamp1.jpg
    Hamp1.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,407
Aha, a student, you clearly think you know everything.......

I hope you are paying your own bills!

Hugh

Only at one of the best Colleges in the world... :)

Also I think my Dad found a great quote once! I think it was as follows

'Employ a teenager while he still knows everything!'

" a waste of time " ... ??

Wifey want's a headphone amp built into the "new" amp. I was looking at this circuit .....
then someone comes along and ruins my day with the above statement.

Guess I'll run it through the simulator anyhow , can't let one opinion ruin all
the fun.

PS- reverse engineered vintage Japanese amp's are VERY musical ! I salute
the engineers.

OS

Cmon Ostripper I'm sure you could come up with a crazy good headphone amp in your sleep!

I say let the music do the entertaining not the equipment, it does a far better job.

NFB is useful for instrument amplifiers. For audio amps, it must be used with great care. I agree 110% with Ostripper.

You are an opinionated fellow, George...... I hope you never work in technology consulting. You might find up with a lot of egg on your face..... be circumspect. If someone can prove you wrong, they will!

Hugh

NFB is useful for instrument amplifiers. For audio amps, it must be used with great care. I agree 110% with Ostripper.

You are an opinionated fellow, George...... I hope you never work in technology consulting. You might find up with a lot of egg on your face..... be circumspect. If someone can prove you wrong, they will!

Hugh

I try to keep it in but it's my frustration that lets me down. I laugh at some of the things people work on to get their systems sounding good and trust me good power amplifiers (as in not valve) are way down the list of priorities.

I'm interested to hear your argument though why do I need to worry about NFB?

Oh yeh I don't trust stories of 'oh I once listened to this, then swapped a capacitor and it was night and day!'

It makes me want to smash my head against the wall!

The world of full of dissonance, get used to it. Most ideologies are shot full of them.

Most of the lack of depth of image with SS power amps is sheeted back to heavy levels of GNFB. Look at the Taylor Series by which GNFB reduces THD. Lower orders are greatly reduced, but higher orders are actually created. This also leads to IM.

Most of the demands for 'stand and deliver' proof are very expensive, particularly if they done properly. Large corporations building amps have no interest in this work because the psychology of appraisal is effectively used to market their product very well. Universities are not interested. Therefore it is fertile ground for snake oil sellers, who sell pet rocks and silver cables.

Without denigrating your alma mater, I would be very surprised if they are actually offer courses in analog audio amps. Most Electrical Engineering these days concentrates on digital, power and software subjects. Accordingly, your view is more based on bravado than actual experience and a fervent belief that measurement is crucial. Unfortunately, music is art, and good art engages with the devotee. These issues cannot be measured, any more than the feeling of a Italia 458 can be communicated with figures.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh - it's horses for courses. And no reference to university courses here.

There are applications for audio amplifiers where your priority is accuracy, perhaps in commercial uses and there are applications where you want nuances and personality, perhaps mostly when listening to music at home with a nice glass of Port.

And there are applications for amps that just have to survive - and these can be quite popular at universities :D