germanium Preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Netlist - very good point indeed. There's a lot to be said for hacking around with circuits for the joy of it, even if the result isn't the latest and greatest. That's how you learn. If I get into the germaniums, it will be to satisfy questions like how to properly bias them for thermal stability and deal with the huge (in comparison) leakage current, which could complicate setting the optimum bias point for a circuit. I'm also very curious about how the old germanium transistors would sound. The old point contact and alloy germanium devices are very different beasts from modern silicon transistors.

JBL SG-520

oh,my god.....

PMA said:
I had been working a lot with them in their times.
103NU71, 156NU70, OC71, OC30, OC26, 2NU74, GC511/GC521, GD607/617 and many others.

My advice is - forget them. We were young, but the stuff was horrible :D :D

Cheers,
Pavel

P.S. Stone age parts. How about selenium rectifiers? Some hiend power supply? :D

john curl said:
Germanium sounds good.

PMA said:

Narrow bandwidth, lot of noise, ageing /change of parameters/.

Of course - "ideal" building component :bawling:

I don't follow PMA.PMA just show the performance of the device.but the performance is not equal to the sound,just like what DJK said on here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=481422&highlight=#post481422

Originally posted by DJK
You know a lot of turntables image better than CDs?

Crosstalk on a typical phono cartridge is 20dB at 1Khz, dropping to 15dB or less at the frequency extremes.

a Japanese commenter said that JBL SG-520 is one of the best sound pre-amp ever made in the world,and it is a hybrid amp of silicon and germanium transistor!!!.....IIRC,one of Japanese audiophile magazine editer used it as reference pre-amp in 90s.

you can saw the whole article which comment many important classic pre- amps until 80s on here,inluding ARC SP-10,ML-2,Marantz 7,...etc.warning....it is Chinese.

http://www.cndiyclub.com/c_read.php?tid=7512

hi,Netlist
could you collect the schematic of JBL SG-520?.....if anyone share us any more info of JBL SG-520,will be very aprreciated.

X.G.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: JBL SG-520

X.G. said:
[snip]a Japanese commenter said that JBL SG-520 is one of the best sound pre-amp ever made in the world,and it is a hybrid amp of silicon and germanium transistor!!!.....IIRC,one of Japanese audiophile magazine editer used it as reference pre-amp in 90s.[snip]X.G.

Of course it sounds very good! It has a lot of cheap electrolytics in the signal path, oxidated copper wiring, carbon pots, loudness contouring and more of these things that are well known to upgrade your sound to absolute top levels. Right?

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Netlist said:
Jan,
No idea but I'll buy you a beer if you don't reveal the fine details behind the blabla. ;)
To me, this thread is just about having fun with simple circuits and eventually see the thread starter build something he's happy with.

/Hugo

Hugo, I'll buy you a beer anytime we meet!
But you are right, maybe I should have more fun.

Jan Didden

PS Come flying again, 24/25 June??

Re: Re: JBL SG-520

Netlist said:

thanks a lot.

janneman said:

Of course it sounds very good! It has a lot of cheap electrolytics in the signal path, oxidated copper wiring, carbon pots, loudness contouring and more of these things that are well known to upgrade your sound to absolute top levels. Right?

Jan Didden

maybe.....all road to Rome.if it give you the best sound,who care that the performance of its device look like bad sound?:D ;)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: JBL SG-520

X.G. said:

thanks a lot.

maybe.....all road to Rome.if it give you the best sound,who care that the performance of its device look like bad sound?:D ;)

Of course. I only find it amusing that the same people that swear now by germanium, at another time and place, condemn anything that has no BG's, .999999 pure copper, expensive plasic film pots etc as sounding horrible.

Isn't audio a great field of human endeavour??

Jan Didden

Yes guys!...continuing to smile, and beeing happy.

Sounds nice, as 811, 813, 807 and some nice enormous valuable tubes.....yeaaaah!

hehe

Carlos

Attachments

• silicon and germanium.jpg
    silicon and germanium.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,110
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Look for some schematics of the early Harman Kardon solid state Citation series, the earliest ss pre-amp in this line used lots of germanium transistors and actually sounded pretty decent.

IIRC It was the Citation A, but I'm not totally sure I have that model # down right.

I'm a tube guy through and through, but the one sample that I have encountered which was working properly actually did sound pretty nice.

Note that germanium transistors seem to deteriorate with age and heat to a degree that you would never see with silicon types.

I have only ever heard one Citation A that was working properly without extensive repairs which included replacing a lot of the transistors with modern silicon types. (Basically all new active circuitry design required.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.