Singing Leach amp while burning in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I was burning in my Leach amp at some high power (I don't think max power) with dummy load I was able to hear the amp clearly singing. I used caps recommended by Prof Leach and I think non of them were ceramics. So what was singing and do I need to worry about this? Thanks.

Perhaps, "In the heat of the night" or "Smoke Gets In My Eyes"...?

IME this noise can emanate from the vibrations of either power transistors or resistors when they pump large ac currents. Nothing to worry about unless you've got a short somewhere you don't know about.

You're right, high value wound foil film capacitors may produce sound when subject to strong voltage swings or overvoltage, but that's not a condition likely to happen in a class AB amplifier. Note that I'm currently working into high power class D and using that kind of capacitors for output filters, but the inductors and even the heatsink insulators produce far more sound...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.