Krell KSA 100mkII Clone

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
PWatts said:

Firing up the board without the output stage can be dangerous - follow the guidelines as in the Leach assembly guide to complete the feedback loop and disable the bias circuitry, or the amp will probably oscillate.

if basic for this clone is as in attached pdf file,then I don't understand this sentence............you can even make decent hphone amp without outputs......fdbck net is completed even without outputs.......
or I missed something,as usual....
:D

Attachments

• mainbd.pdf
    51.9 KB · Views: 472
One final problem which is a very easy fix... is to get rid of the component side pads and plated through holes below heatsink... The heatsink will create a dead short between both rails:bigeyes: . I will remove the sink, and heat the component side pads to get rid of them and drill though the holes toget rid of the plated through stuff.

Mark

Attachments

• ksa-100 board 005.jpg
    ksa-100 board 005.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,181
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
quote to Mark........
;)

slightly off topic (mebbe even not,if we know what you use to drive this Krell thingies ) -have you any novelty regarding theme of other thread-one in toob forum?
completely off topic-I'm just curious -have you any opportunity to scavenge some obscure stuff during your cinema related tours?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
One final problem which is a very easy fix... is to get rid of the component side pads and plated through holes below heatsink... The heatsink will create a dead short between both rails:bigeyes: . I will remove the sink, and heat the component side pads to get rid of them and drill though the holes toget rid of the plated through stuff.

Mark

place sheet of teflon or even naked pcb between hsink and this pcb .....whatever you find handy as temp durable isolator sheet

just a thought

edit after your edit-where you attach pic

use 10mm -what is E word for drill bit- bohrer in German.....whatever
use 10 mm drill and just drill untill youremove rings........try to avoid heat if you can......

Zen mod... I have some old tube theater stuff in the garage but
I only have several spare hours per year and I prefer to use those to hang out here... At the Union Pacific Steam Shops in Cheyenne, WY.... Once you mess around with the really big boys toys there's no going back! Being around these big locos makes me wish I still had my Nagra Stereo and Altec tube mics....:bawling: .

Mark

Attachments

• up6d41~1 copy.jpg
    up6d41~1 copy.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,193
Thats a pretty large beam engine! Grinding rust off something like that is an honor!

Union Pacific has the largest steam engine in the world still in operation. Its the 3985. Its undergoing a two year re-build of the main driving wheels and all bushings and bearings. It should be back in action the summer after next. By itself it can pull a 3000 ton train just like nothing at nearly 70 mph!
Challenger 3985

Now back to our pre-empted KSA-100 thread!

Mark

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Zen mod... I have some old tube theater stuff in the garage but
I only have several spare hours per year and I prefer to use those to hang out here... At the Union Pacific Steam Shops in Cheyenne, WY.... Once you mess around with the really big boys toys there's no going back! Being around these big locos makes me wish I still had my Nagra Stereo and Altec tube mics....:bawling: .

Mark

when I was a kid-I was used to drive in trains in certain Mountain part of my country where my Pa is born,and where I go every year at my Grand Ma place for two months..... few times I have opportunity to drive in train with old steam loco ( emergency helper for "where's da bloody diesel loco now?")........I still remember smell and odour of ancient Mother- like beast.......;)
in that part of country then were alive not just few steam loco legends....ya know-regular stuff about illegal pull competitions......
those were days hehe ,and we -kids- used to call these trains "Cowboy" ones ........ ;)

It also does sine waves pretty well too 1khz. I think PWatts deserves a job well done in this board!!!

The plan is to strip out a Cerwin Vega A-2200 Sensurround power amp that I have abnd build it into a Class AB KSA-100. With the addition of a fan on each heatsink I could probably take it into class A or very close.

Mark

Attachments

• ks5e6f~1 copy.jpg
    ks5e6f~1 copy.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,057
ksa-100

And another Krell Klone is born! The board is working fine at +/- 24 volts. Voltage across the 75 ohm driver resistors can be varied from .5 to 1.3 volts DC by turning the bias control.

Just to show you how good this thing is the scope is displaying a 100 HZ square wave.

Mark

You really know how to distract me from my schooling! :bigeyes:

I will some how have to make time to listen to it when you get it going on a weekend or something. But I would only be able to spare maybe 2 hours and get back to assignments.

Bill

P.S. but I can tell you Todd and I are following this amp closely.

Re: Re: ksa-100

Zen Mod said:

hehe
I just started to ask Mark how's going with Bill's schooling.......

anyway-enjoy in lurking :devilr:

Zenomod or what ever your name is this week. That was a good laugh, while doing homework reading that on this thread. :devilr:

Schooling is going well, grade wise in spite of being so busy. Lowest grade so far was 88 percent. If I keep my grades the same as the 1st half of the semester, I should end up with all A's by December. Clinicals in the hospital are fun for me. I feel like I am finally getting somewhere in life careerwise.

But, I really miss building amps and hanging out over at Mark's with LuckyLyndon. I do glance at the threads at least once a week to see what is going on.

I anticipate having a marathon fix during my 2 or so week break between semesters to build at least one or two amps to survive listening until summer. I miss my decommissioned Aleph 3 that I used for the mini Aleph jfet project. I am stuck with no bass with the mini until most likely December and then some amp will start during my break! :)

Bill