p3a up and running :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, finally got the right size to3p style insulators and heat paste and one channel is up and running w/o any smoke so far :)

DC voltage on output is at 16.5 millivolts, much better than previous attempt at 36 Volts . This is with a load and input connected :)

I am crossing my fingers that it will stay that way w/o blowing up.
I am using On Semi mjl 193/194 pair. Rail voltage is at 36-37 volts.

If it doesn't let any magic smoke out, I will connect it to my diy speakers and see how well it sounds :) Don't really want to take my chances just yet.

Woohoo.

Hello Hugh!

This weekend I will try and do some listening and post my impressions. I am not really up on all the terms that magazines and professional reviewers use though.

I do most of my listening in near field, or on my headphones. I don't really have any hi-end source or pre amp equipment, maybe i'll connect my pc m-audio 2496 card directly to the amplifier and use it along with a dvd drive for the source. My other source is technics sl1200 mk2s but w/o any "reference" quality vinyl.

It would be nice to compare it to amp like Aksa on same set of speakers. So, maybe Santa will bring me Aksa to play with :D

Jean.

Jean,

Perhaps with little knowledge of the words and phrases used in stereo mags, you might come up with a true and accurate description of the sound..........:D

You can always trip along to George or Dan in Sacto and take your new creation with you - they would be delighted to compare!

By coincidence, just today I despatched two more 55W AKSAs to Dan.

Cheers,

Hugh

www.aksaonline.com

It has been running w/o any problems for some time now. When the input rca cables are not connected I have 0 noise/hum on the outputs. Well I can't hear anything at all, even with my ears next to the speakers :)

When one rca cable is connected its still dead silent in both channels, but if I connect both then I have really low noise in both channels. I would guess this is a ground loop external to the amplifier itself ?

I have everything grounded to the power supply capacitor bank, aka star ground. Only input cables connect directly to the pc board via shielded rca cables. Case is not connected to the PS ground, only AC ground.

I have to say it really sounds good, compared to my 2ch onkyo receiver it sounds more pleasing to the ears. I used Chesky ultimate demonstration disc and it sounds great on every track w/o any problems. Bass is nice and tight, it does not sound sloppy at all. Highs and midrange is very clean, it does not sound raspy or shrill.

Thats the best I can describe it, i am very happy with it :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.