Digitally-controlled stepped attenuator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, all!
I'm currently working on getting parts for a gainclone, and wanted to try getting a stepped attenuator for use for volume control, possibly in a preamp.
However, instead of using the standard-issue rotary switches, I'd like to try using a set of resistors and relays controlled by a microprocessor. (I'm also learning how to program these.) Using a remote, one could control which resistors were connected; by using a bunch of relays with SPST connections, they could be moved in and out of the circut. (When the relay's on, it would bypass the resistor).
Would this work? Also, could I use a set of relays for an input selector circut? I've got some PIC microcontroller gear, and it looks like might be easy (and fun!) to make a fancy-pants remote control system for a pittance. (10$ for the microcontroller, a few $ worth of transistors, and some relays harvested from old modems is all I'd need!)
Also, this might work rather nicely in conjunction with a built-in computer. I've got a small industrial computer board which would fit inside half of an old CD player enclosure quite nicely; with a gainclone on the other side and a DVD drive, I'd have a nifty little HTPC!

myhrrhleine said:
You might consider a digital pot.
Many IC manufacturers make them.
As for relays, why not use a IC switch?
4016 and 4066 (I think) are the part numbers.
An article by Doug Self showed them to be rather low distortion when used in a shunt configuration.

Interesting. I'd like to try two digital pots; can you point me to a simple circut? I'd like to do most of the stuff digtitally; that way, I can use a microcontroller and remote control on the cheap.
The chip switches also sound like an interesting idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.