Leach,Krellclone,GAS,SAE,PL400...???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I going crazy ..... which one is the best?

Leach,Krell KSA50 clone, GAS Son and Grandson, Sae 2400, Phase Linear 400 or 700 , JLH , Pass A40, Hiraga class A 20W, or maybe some other.

Is anyone who tell me simply which choose. Please help.
I would like to make one of this amps, because they are quite simply and chips to build.

Now I'm listening amplituner Marantz SR5300 and want to make my live better :) Need final project. I like much of good deep bass, dynamic, huge soundstage and soft highs - less than Marantz.

In past years I owned both the SAE 2200 and 2400 but can't say how they would sound compared to the ther amps mentioned except for the Flame Linear 400.... Which they both tromped on easily. Some of those old Jum Borgiono designs are still quite good even today..... probably even better with updated semi's in them.

Mark

Personally, I will build the Leach TIM (the 120W, 8 ohms version). Personal preferance as the output stays at zero volts if one of the supply fuses blow. Can't say this for other amps. Use a bigger heatsink and ramp up the bias to around 200mA or higher..... Try it, all info is free including PCB layout.

bra said:
....Need final project. I like much of good deep bass, dynamic, huge soundstage and soft highs....

Simply Leach, Super Leach or Krell clone?

I have built the Leach low tim and JLH 10 watt. I prefer the JLH.
Better bass in my opinion and less fatiguing than the Leach.
Leach has much more power of course.
My Leach is biased at 200ma and the JLH 2amps.
My opinion of course

I have built the Low TIM, ( Jens' boards), Two KSA50's, (one set of Jan' s and one set of Pinkmouse's), Two Symasym's, (one set of 5_2 and one set of 5_3), a P101 and an AlephX.

The description you give comes closest to the KSA50 of those amps. The Leach has strong lows and a good soundstage, but I wouldn't call it's highs soft. The A-X has soft highs but weak bass. The Symasym has the best soundstage I have heard to date but it is only about 150wpc and I would define it's high as very detailed.

So, I guess I would say it is going to depend on how you feel about Class A. The KSA would seem to fit your description the best but it is a hot sucker and you either need huge heatsinks or a tunnel with a fan, which makes noise.

I can't speak for the other amps mentioned, as I haven't heard them.

Blessings, Terry

myhrrhleine said:

Looks like you've narrowed it down quite a bit.
I'd personally choose the leach over the krell, but only because I know the leach and not the krell.
:) (-:

I'd chose the Krell over the Leach but only because I made a Krell! But I do have Leach boards and they are 2 projects away (doing an Aleph X now). Plus, Bra, you really have to make a Krell after you got everyone else making them. I will say that it was easier than the Aleph X (so far), and that if you like a strong bass response you will not be dissapointed, you can upscale it a little if you want more power. It does get hot though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.