The first pocket transistor radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: The first pocket transistor radio

Tube_Dude said:
-current amplification factor ( minimum ) - 0,9 :eek:

Hehehe. And I like this from the TI information bulletin:

The transistors - technically known as n-p-n grown germanium triodes - are made in the Semiconductor Products Division

I've always said transistors are triodes too! :)

And just look at this output stage:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's a germanium SET amp! :)

se

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Steve,
You just started the next revival. :xeye: Everyone knows true class "A" is the best sound.

Remember the old EV PA amps in the early 70's? Classic class "A", germanium output transistors. Nice coming in from the cold in the winter.

-Chris

Re: Re: Re: The first pocket transistor radio

Steve Eddy said:

I've always said transistors are triodes too! :)

It's a germanium SET amp! :)

Triodes only for the 3 terminals , because the impedance "looking" in the collector of the transistor is very high ( hundreds of KOhms ) it look more , like a pentode .

In the schematic you provide (without feedback) , we have a transconductance output stage and the speaker is in current drive mode ...

anatech said:
You just started the next revival. :xeye: Everyone knows true class "A" is the best sound.

Hehehe. Already did some noodling around with some germaniums. Too damned twitchy for my tastes. :)

Remember the old EV PA amps in the early 70's? Classic class "A", germanium output transistors. Nice coming in from the cold in the winter.

Yeah, and the bias on those things probably went out of wack just from the bit of cold air that blew through the door. :)

se

Re: Re: Re: Re: The first pocket transistor radio

Tube_Dude said:
Triodes only for the 3 terminals , because the impedance "looking" in the collector of the transistor is very high ( hundreds of KOhms ) it look more , like a pentode .

I don't care. It has three terminals. It's a !@#$% TRIODE, DAMMIT! :)

In the schematic you provide (without feedback) , we have a transconductance output stage and the speaker is in current drive mode ...

Yeah. Gonna get me one of those little critters and rip out all the other crap and use the output stage to drive a 16 ohm compression driver on a very efficient horn. :)

se

Jack, you're probably old enough to remember the transistor wars? This is a 10 transistor radio, for another $5 you can get a 15 transistor radio. Top of the line is a 20 transistor radio; that one must REALLY be good!

One of the electronics mags at the time (Electronics Illustrated, I think) ran an expose, where they bought a bunch of the high transistor count radios, examined the guts, and found about 5 transistors actually working, the rest either diode connected or not connected at all.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The first pocket transistor radio

Tube_Dude said:

Germaniums had much lower output resistance than silicon transistors, far more like a triode.

I remember a physics practical around 1971 measuring transistor curves. The task was written with an AC128 germanium in mind and I was very confused by the silicon device that I was given.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The first pocket transistor radio

davidsrsb said:
Germaniums had much lower output resistance than silicon transistors, far more like a triode.

Look at the specifications in the data sheet.

http://people.msoe.edu/~reyer/regency/ti_ad_11-53.jpg

Collector resistance (minimum ) ... 0,2 MOhms - 0,4 MOhms..

The proverbial imperfect constant current source , hardly a triode at all , I'm afraid...;)

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.