Looking for a Bryston 4B ST clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking of doing a set of DIY amps to go with my speakers and was wondering what eveyone else is doing. I looked at the Aussieamps but the FET's seem exotic and aren't even listed on the Manufacurers web site, which makes me nervous.

What I am looking for is a monoblock differential input, (XLR), that will drive 250W@8/400W@4 though I could probably live with half of that. I'd want very low distortion as well.

My current Brystons list distortion of .007% or so which the Aussieamps seem to meet. Are there FET substitutions that are more mainstream? Has anyone added a differential input?

Any other ideas?

TIA,
Phil

I'm interested in this thread

because I see a pair of subwoofer mono-blocks in my future-

But as a practical matter, I suggest ignoring the published distortion specs by even a well respected manufacturer -

there are just too many variables, and we really are more interested in the sound than the numbers:D

Ken

bawang,

I'll do a search on the Super Leach amp and check it out. I do have simulation capability so I may attempt to add my own differential input.

Ken L,

I agree the proof is in the listening and since my Brystons are the quietist amps I've ever not heard I just want to get performance comparable to them.

By the way, each Bryston comes with an individual test sheet for that serial number so I think that they may actually be meeting their specs! ;)

Thanks all, anyone else?

Phil

I've heard the Leach and the Bryston side by side.

The Leach was much better.

Considering that they both use similar topology (cross-coupled dual differential inputs, fully complementary from input to output),
You would think they would sound more similar.

They don't.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.