Has anyone used Erno Borbely EB-201/168

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let's see.

http://www.borbelyaudio.com/eb201168.asp

I seen this circuit from his website but I can't find parts list of them,where ?

Could anybody suggest me for build them ?

PS, I like all jfet more than hybrid or pure tube :)

Regard
analog guy

Attachments

• eb-201-168-driver-circuit.jpg
    eb-201-168-driver-circuit.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,590

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Leolabs said:
And I wonder why his design is quite complex???

It is not more complex than some other designs but maybe more innovative. Erno prefers the use of jfet and mosfet in cascode arrangement. The general topology is simply a fully symetrical amp driver with diff input, folded cascode VAS, Bias circuit and DC servo. Erno has designed the Hafler DH-200/220 amp in the end of the 70s. This circuit seems to be an evolution of the DH-200 design concept in my opinion.

ANALOG GUY said:
Let's see.

http://www.borbelyaudio.com/eb201168.asp

I seen this circuit from his website but I can't find parts list of them,where ?

Could anybody suggest me for build them ?

PS, I like all jfet more than hybrid or pure tube :)

Regard
analog guy

As usual when using fully symmetrical all JFET amplifier design
problem is finding complementary JFET.

If you do not find any nice P-JFETs to match your N-JFETs
your amplifier will be highly un-symmetrical :D

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re: Has anyone used Erno Borbely EB-201/168

lineup said:

As usual when using fully symmetrical all JFET amplifier design
problem is finding complementary JFET.

If you do not find any nice P-JFETs to match your N-JFETs
your amplifier will be highly un-symmetrical :D

Yes that is correct. Erno sells matched N and P parts but at a higher price though. Erno's kits are quite expensive but they uses expensive parts also (caddock resistors, ...). Although this specific circuit may not include parts list, you can guess the parts of the circuit from his other circuits and its section "audiophile components" on his web site. Usually the parts used for jfet have a transconductance range suffix (V, GR, BL). But even then, you still have to match them using probably lots of jfet if you are not lucky. I have ordered some complementary jfets from Ampslab using the same transconductance suffix but I may have to order matched jfet from Erno if I am unlucky.

AHHH.....quickly reply !!!

Now I decide to use 2n5458 and 2n5461 jfet for complementary input, cascode, vas and some mosfet are irf610/9610 but I can't calculate for value of resistors, capacitors, diode :-(

My country there're no 2sk389, 2sj109, other zvp****, zvn**** etc if somebody have parts list please show your share about part which instead.

PS.where can I find hafler schematic ?

regard
analog guy

Attachments

• eb201-168web.jpg
    eb201-168web.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,223

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
ANALOG GUY said:
Now I decide to use 2n5458 and 2n5461 jfet for complementary input, cascode, vas and some mosfet are irf610/9610 but I can't calculate for value of resistors, capacitors, diode :-(

My country there're no 2sk389, 2sj109, other zvp****, zvn**** etc if somebody have parts list please show your share about part which instead.

PS.where can I find hafler schematic ?

regard
analog guy

Hi Analog guy

Unless you have the agreement of Erno Borbely to use this specific Borbely design or it is fully pulished somewhere, I feel uncomfortable to try to reverse engineer this amp on the public domain. It is a question of respect to the designer when he does not want to disclose fully his design yet probably for commercial reason. Try other Erno's design which he has published and contain all details.

Furthermore, if you want to use different active components then you are changing the design and it is a lot more complex exercise since you will have to re-establish several parameters like bias, stability margin, gain, etc. I do not know your electronic background but biasing a jfet is not as simple as a bjt. 2N5458 has different characteristics than 2SK170.

To get parts from another country it is quite easy to order parts via airmail with the web.

Hafler schematics are at several places on this forum. Just do a search in the Hafler DH-200/220, etc .. threads.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Analog,

I did not mean to discourage you. You may still develop your own amp design using Erno's similar circuit topology for your own personal use. If you want to use 2N5458/2N5461 the Idss variation is from 1ma to 5ma. You will have to use a trim pot to compensate if you can not get the "perfect" parts for your circuit. See example of jfet input stage at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=360361#post360361. I would not use this design as-is today though (not optimised) . This was an old experiment but it gave very good sound results for a preamp.

IRF610-9610 are vertical mosfet with high Vgsoff. I would personnaly use more 2SK216/2SJ79 (VGSoff about 1 volt) types for VAS.

Good luck

Thank you for many suggestion

I don't want to copy or reverse engineer this module, but I want to redesign with my style (low cost parts) in the same topology.

Discourage confused me, so I like about learn & practice more than keep a secret ;)

Thanks
analog guy

Attachments

• my jfet lover.jpg
    my jfet lover.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 714
I'll resize my picture

AHH.....
I can't save for a small file from print screen button, btw it's (susy concept) preamplifier with jfet & transistor cascoded (5mA) & mosfet output (7mA)

I used left schematic for convert unbalance to balanced signal and used right schematic for fully balanced input from left schematic, it's also balanced output but now I want to modify it to SE bridge power amplifier, How to ?

Thanks
analog guy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.