Low noise current source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
What's the best way to make a low noise adjustable current source.
In fact I'm looking for a low noise adjustable tension source to drive a mosfet gate. I've tried 9V1 zener diode paralleled by a 10K multitour adjustable, but what a noise.......

Do you have some ideas? LED, TL431???????

Thanks

Just an idea you can try:

Zener diodes are very noisy and should be bypassed with a capacitor or two to help filter out their noise. Try an electrolytic cap in parallel with a small film cap for bypassing.

Also, you can try using regular diodes for your refernce voltage. Let's say you wanted to make a 5V reference, you can use about 7 forward biased diodes instead of one reverse biased zener diode. Forward biased diodes tend to produce less noise than reverse biased ones.

==> Just so you know (although I don't think this will help you much), transistors tend to be noisy current sources because they amplify their own noise. Can you make some sacrifices and use simple resistors for this project?

Yes, if you start to bypass current around the zener to the point where it's not being fully turned on, they get real noisy. Try taking an LM334 adjustable current source to bias the zener while watching the noise across it with a scope, as you bring the current up it will get real noisy until you get a miliamp or more going through it. I've used this technique to chose where to bias them for lowest noise.
Are you looking for a current source or a quiet voltage source? your original post is a bit unclear...

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.