NAD S200 SilverLine power amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't even know where to start, I found even more bugs. Now I think that they were made on purpose or this is a middle class technique that does not claim to be high class. Mark Levinson and Meridian also have high-end devices, but there are also medium-simple ones. For example, if compared with NAD218THX, then in NADS200 the relay is not properly covered by the feedback. Perhaps due to the fact that the relay was chosen too bad.
NAD 218 THX Stereo Power Amplifier Manual | HiFi Engine

For today, my friend and I have selected power Russian and Dutch speaker cables ARKANA and Van Den Hul for this amplifier. Now, even with these flaws, it sounds pretty good. It is probably time to change to new electrolytic capacitors. Because after the amplifier has warmed up, turning it off for one minute significantly improves the sound. Apparently, the dielectric is being re-formed in the capacitors or the internal voltage in the transistors is being removed. I observed a similar effect in tubes.

Kind of late reply, but anyway.

NAD S200 is a factory tweaked/modified NAD 218 THX.
They share the same schematics.:bigeyes:

The biggest difference between these two amps is the chassis with terminals.
Other changes are better PCB (two sided, same layout, but the wire straps are replaced with pcb tracks), Metalfilm resistors instead of the ordinary and some better capacitors here and there.

The only S-amp that`s someting special is the S300 (based on a Gryphon amp) but thats another story;-))

I had a ton of NAD stuff over the years, including the 218. It was my least favorite frankly I was somewhat disappointed with it in certain areas. Amps from the BEE series have more character, even much smaller in stature such as the 326. It gets rather hot running 4 ohm 87 db standmounts but it takes a licking and keeps ticking. I often pushed mine hard. Plus its been powered on since last July (2020).

There is a S200 with matching pre currently for sale not extremely far from me. I have been pondering it, was ;).

I had a few looks under the hood of the 218 and the S200. They do look strikingly similar at a glance. Pretty amp though (the S200).

If I'm going to fork out 1500 dollars I know I can do better than that offering. I find them very handsome in the looks department though.

People either hate NAD or love it. Its an excellent product in terms of dollar to performance ratio. I paid 275 for my little BEE which currently handles pre duty for the moment. If you wish to run less than efficient speakers still within some kind of realistic numbers with its power amp I would look elsewhere. It runs out of steam in the bass rather quickly. It got me through and it did what was expected of it however. I bet some big efficient Klipsch would sound grand with it.

The S300 is an elusive beast. It is the Gryphon. In a different sport jacket. I would <3 to be the first one to see one pop up for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
218 THX vs. S200 Nad Silverline.

Attachments

• Screenshot (862).jpg
    Screenshot (862).jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.