Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Leach Amp for Sub use?
Leach Amp for Sub use?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2005, 01:10 PM   #1
Wynand is offline Wynand  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Leach Amp for Sub use?

I've got a half made Leach Amplifier. I was wondering if I could use this in an Active Sub amp?

I don't care for overkill because I dont see myself building another leach amplifier soon and can thus use this for a mono amp...

Would there be a problem with 4ohm use.. . I want to start with a small car subwoofer...

The amp will probably be used for PC sound system.
Old 10th December 2005, 01:57 PM   #2
jacco vermeulen is offline jacco vermeulen  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Wynand,

the Leach amplifier can handle 4 ohms on a full range loudspeaker.
A big advantage of an active system is the much lower overall requirements on the amplifier.
With the transformer you mentioned for the Leach amplifier it should have an easy task as a sub amplifier.
You need ample heatsinks for the output devices and take care not to drive the amplifier into clipping.
With a modified VI limiter the amplifier can even handle much lower impedances when used as a sub amplifier.
Old 11th December 2005, 03:04 AM   #3
amplifierguru is offline amplifierguru
Account Disabled

Hi Wynand,

You need an amplifier that can handle sustained clipping as a sub amp - unless you like your bass soft! It is really very easy to overdrive sub amps and they need to be a design that can handle such abuse, as clipping is not nearly as apparent.

Also one with a more continuous duty power supply that would be needed for wide range use.

Good reference material -

"Subwoofer Performance for Accurate reproduction of Music' by Louis D. Fielder and Eric M Benjamin JAES V36 No6. june 1988.

"Audio Power Amplifiers for loudspeaker loads" Eric Benjamin JAES V42 No.9 1994.

Cheers,
Greg

Leach Amp for Sub use?Hide this!Advertise here!