old Parasound ZAMP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My sis gave me an old Parasound zone amplifier (ZAMP) that was sitting in a closet for years. It is in very good shape as it was barely used. I intended to use it as a headphone amp but, as soon as I incorporated it into my HT setup it caused a nasty ground loop hum all around the system.

I troubleshot the problem with the usual solutions - ground loop isolator; plugging into different outlets; cheater plugs; etc. - with no luck.

I noticed while checking the Parasound homepage that there are 2 newer versions of this amp, the V2 & V3. Both of these units have "ground lift" switches on the rear panel.

Do ya' think Parasound knew the early version of the ZAMP causes a ground loop hum and remedied it in later models? Can this amp be modded in such a way to eliminate the problem? Anybody else have any experience with this particular amp and a possible solution? Thanks in advance.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Senn,
I have serviced many amps in the past, including Parasound, but can only speak in general terms. The chassis ground is a safety feature and must remain. Somewhere, the circuitry inside is connected to the chassis. The generally occurs as a wire coming off a "star" ground. You need an audio tech to correctly identify this point and insert some resistance to stop the circulating ground currents.
Parasound may be able to assist you by providing a technical description of what needs to be done. The description of what needs doing is fairly straight forward, the work may not be. A good audio technician should be able to do this.

-Chris

In response to an email

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.