Pre-pre; phono; pre line ;device discrete (bjt/fet) o op. amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now after 30-yers of project with valve, I want to build a solid-state pre and phono.
If in past is true that is better the sound of a simple bjt that the better pre linewith operational amplifier (OA), see the typologies of pre Kaneda for ex., o type the philosophy of N.PASS; now the device OA is very interesting f.e. tha OA of LT ( LT1115 in the data sheets the are o lot of type of very interesting pre phono end is very simple to project a line preamplifier). Very interesting is the pre-pre Dynavector PHA-100 that use OA with current amplifier.

The question is easy: for a pre that is the best for musicality and velocity is better a project that use discrete device, o the actual OA built for hi-fi application?
Thank of for opinion and, very important, direct experience.
Giampietro.

:smash:

THE QUESTION IS EASY

o.k. thank , but the question is easy: is possible to-day do a hi-end preamplifier phono MC with OA o bjt?
I don’t have problem make it with the tube see my photo this is a phono MC all tube, power supply separate, dual-mono with input inductive.
Thank

g.pietro

Attachments

• alim 3.jpg
    alim 3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 635
If you need discrete preamps ( line + phono ), make some by Erno Borbelly - this is state of art...

where are the schematics of these SOA ones?
I have made some discrete OP-AMPS improved from Nelson Pass's and Doug Self tidbits. Nice but distortion is closer to -85db than -120db of SOA monolithic ones like AD797 or OPA637.

Even Mark Levinson uses AD797 in their Reference No 32 so I would think you need to be state of the art designer to make SOA discrete version, no?

Tom

EE

To build a discrete MC Phono RIAA preamplifier using discretes only
that can match the same built with highest class op-amps
would be maybe the most difficult anybody would try to do.

Not even using op-amps it is an easy game reach up to top specs.
Power supply quality, shielding, grounding, layout design and mounting it all into place has to be done right.

This project, for example uses 3 single op-amps per channel:
LT1028 - OPA627 - OPA134
Alternatively you can use AD797 in place of LT1028.

DIY simple MC preamp (ultra low nosie & ultra fast)

Building something like that using discretes
would be a nightmare I wouldnt get myself into.
:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.