pre-amp selector switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:xeye:

Hello,

I have one sound system I try to use for audiophile quality music listening and home theater movie viewing.

I have recently realized that my old pre-amp I used (prior to 5.1 home theater) sounds much better for 2 channel music than my new a/v receiver.

Both have pre-amp outs allowing me to utilize my external amps for my front left & right channels. One of the really nice advantages is that my older pre-amp also will allow me to use my subwoofer in 2 channel stereo mode on lower frequencies (below 31hz) while my a/v receiver doesn't recognize the sub unless in a surround mode...

Ideally, what I would like is to have my amps, and sub hooked to a selector switch which would then send the amplification thru either the older pre-amp (for music) or the a/v receiver (for movies).

Currently, if I want the best sound quality, I have to switch wires around on the different components depending on music or movies.

Has anyone else encountered this??? Is there an easy fix???

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated...

Sincerely,
Bonz

p.s. I submitted a reply to another post saying many of these same details... Sorry if I am being redundant or posting in the wrong area.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bonz,
Welcome to the problem of good sound and surround. I ended up with two systems in different rooms after trying to make one system do both.

You could make a selector between both. This may or may not do what you want properly. It really depends on what you and the family will put up with. My wife didn't want two systems but agreed with me in the end.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.