A simple question from a simple man.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am back with a new idea. My Rotel RC-971 preamp has a bit fo a strange design. It has an option to record one source (sends one source unmodified to the tape outs) at the same time as listening to another (sending another to the preouts).

The headphone preamp is obviously connected to the listening option.

What i want is to be able to listen to one thing on my headphones while playing something else on my speakers.

What I was going to do is find the connecting wires that goto the headphone amp section and move them onto the tape outs.

In theory that means the headphones will play whatever I am recording and the rest of the amp will act as normal.

I use my headphones to listen to my PC (which has its own volume so it matters not that I am bypassing the vol pot) and I want to listen to CD's at the same time.

So what am I overlooking?

Peter

x:confused:

I just opened up the box. I can confirm, its downright impossible.

I thought theese things would have a headphone amp PCB with some nice trailing wires!

All one one (almost empty) PCB that is upside down. The board has been glued in place so you can get to the useful bits anyway.

One side note, if it is really as simple as just a resistor on the outputs why is there a thing about the quality of headphone amps built into pre's. The headphone amp in this is supposed to be very good. So what does that relate too?

In theory, could i not just solder some resistors on the tape out and connect the headphone socket to that? I wont do it, its just not worth the hastle, but I'm curious as to why or why not it would work.

I have never had a project crash and burn so fast, 15mins from idea to death!

It took me six months from the idea to biamp my speakers to do it (even though I have a spare similar unused amp on top of my wardrobe)

Well thanks for the help.

I now have to reattach my pre to me hifi rack. problem being is I glue it on! this is going to be tough.

Peter

prepare for incoming flac

Well,

<-- nervously shuffles his feet.

I have limited shelves on my hifi rack.

So for space saving I utilise both the top and bottom of one of the shelves =-)

It works so you cant knock it!

just taking it off to service is a bugger, not to mention the amout of pritstick needed
:cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.