Elliott Sound MOSFET Power Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jackinnj said:
Hitachi no longer makes the Lateral MOSFETs used in the amplifier -- these are no manufactured by Renesas -- or you can use Exicons.

Rod actually states in his contuction pages "The ECX10N16 and ECX10P16 or ECX10N20 / ECX10P20 (from Profusion PLC in the UK) are at least as good as the originals - they may even be slightly better."

So there's no problem with output devices.

regards

What do you think about Holton's one?
Some time ago there was available schematic of Anthony Holton's MOSFET power amplifier at his homepage.
http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/
This amp scales perfectly up to 800W by paralleling the next complimentary MOSFET pairs.
P: 200W/8 Ohm & 400W/4 Ohm for eight pairs of IRFP240/IRFP9240
BWT: 4Hz - 56kHz (+/-3dB)
S/N unweighted: -122dB (20Hz - 20KHz)
S/N A weighted: -126dB (20Hz - 20KHz)
nominal Vin: 1.2V RMS (dla 200W/8ohm
THD: <0.07% (20Hz - 20kHz) (typ <0.005%)
DF: 200

You can see Holton's amp schematic here (post dated 22 Lip 2004, 10:05)
http://www.audiostereo.pl/forum_wpisy.html?temat=9991
If you are interested in receiving schematic of this amp&PCB, mail me.

You can change original transistors to BC550, BD911/912 and 5 pairs of 2SK1530/2SKJ201 you can get
P: 450W/4 Ohm or 300W/8 Ohm
BWT: +/- 3 dB 18 Hz - 72 kHz
+/- 1 dB 27 Hz - 53 kHz
S/N 92 dB

Upupa and PMA,

you have both such a wonderfull and funny vocabulary for some amplifiers such as "stoneage" and "horrible"(PMA wrote this just for couple of days ago in DestroyerX's thread)! :D
I'm looking forward to the next subjective expression from your repertory! ;)

Cheers Michael

Michael, this is not our common " repertoir "... this is personnaly ( from my look ) big disappointment wiht common knowledges of DIY community....great inertia, low inquistivism...prefering of " realy stone age connections ", by about we both with Pavel knows, that are overcomes....It is not funny, it is tragedy...

Jacco,

yes it's full moon, at least here in most northern part of europe where I am it's now fully visible, but thank god I had realy lot of garlic in my Spaghetti sauce today if we will get visits from Transylvania with surroundings! ;)

Anyhow, wondering about your post #6 you said "that would be me".

Was that an answer to the previous post, I mean do you have Hitachi/Renesas FET's for sale? (you can also e-mail me if you prefer.)

Cheers Michael

PS: Upupa my friend, with all respect, all I meant was in the sign of humor! :)

There are professionals and sometimes DIYers with great knowledge of electronics, acoustics, psychoacoustics who can design and build audio amplifiers from A to Z. There are DIYers who can applicate somebody's projects only and build amps for their own pleasure. These two groups exist in parallel Universes and forum like this causes that knowledge of the first group can be disseminated.
Let's praise these who want to share knowledge with outsiders. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.