2 Amp System?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I'm gonna have one amp that does about 80 wattsx2 but i want to use a high pass filter so that amp only does high frequency sounds,and i want to build another amp to run the subs so the high current low fequencys don't cause distortion in the high end clairty,What would be the best wattage per sub to corrospond with 80 clear watts of high end? (mind you all the speakers will be in one box like a regular loud speaker with the sub run sperately from the midrange and tweeter)

What crossover frequencies do you plan to use? How much power you need for your subs depends very much on this. If you cross over a 350Hz, that is the point where you should have equal SPL from each half of the system. The higher you go, the more low end power you need. There is a chart here. http://www.sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

Are you using an active crossover at the input or passive at the output? Just curious. An active crossover at the input (bi-amping) is really the way to go, and you can adjust it easily.:D

Active at the input above 350 (thanks for the half and half value) goes to the high end and below goes to the low end. I want good strong bass with crystal clear highs (i have a small 15 watt 3 peice computer sound system that uses this and it sounds NICE for 15 watts so i say why not 300 watts? :D )

Just remember that this does not necissarily mean that you need 80W per sub, you may need more or less depending on the sensitivity of your speakers. This 50/50 thing is for SPL, not watts. For example, if your highs can produce 120dB, than your subs must also produce at least 120dB, maybe more if you like bass.

But, can your subs go up to 350Hz very well? What subs are they? It is likely that your subs ought to be crossed over at 200Hz or so, maybe less, 350 is pretty high. It's always good if you can look at the frequency curves of your speakers to see how high or low they can really go when designing crossovers. Do you know the brand or model #?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.