Soundcraftsmen 900X2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Attached should be a compressed picture of the top of the board. Hopefully it is clear. The orignal picture shows the brown spots clearly.

Attachments

• 450x2 0122.jpg
    450x2 0122.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 638
cygnusxi said:
The burn marks (light brown squiggly lines) I saw were on the top side of the board. I'll try to take some pictures of what I see and post them. I don't recall the caps being vented, but I'll look again and try and take a picture of those too.

Thanks again.

Squiggly lines sounds like maybe at some time a wire over heated.
Just a thought.

Blessings, Terry

My capicitors burned out in my 900x2

does anybody know where i can get the capacitors for the 900x2? i can't seem to find them anywhere... Also, on the top of the capacitors, there are numbers, one is 22 and the other is 13.

not certain where to get these. by the way, i found a guy on the internet who said he sells the orginal schematics for the soundcraftsman amps at http://www.gourmetpa.com/s.html

I have 4 PR1800 amps. These are the early production of the model that was later renamed the 900X2 after MTX bought Soundcraftsmen. Some early ones didn't have the later 'soft-start' circuit. The very high inrush current when you first turn them on tends to make the power supply caps explode or is very hard on the caps to say the least. The damaged caps sometimes subsequently blow the regulator SCR.

So anyway I haven't turned on these amps in 5 years; they've been sitting in a stack in my kitchen. Now after reading these posts I'm kind of afraid to turn them on. I do have some really big variacs, but I'm not sure I could power them up slowly to form the caps anyway, since this is a switching-mode power supply. I don't want to have to replace the caps if not necessary. I don't want to have to build a power supply just to form the caps.

Any good advice is appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.