help my amp is broked and im sad...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey i was wondering if anyone could help me, i know its a vague problem but basically my amp is only playing through one speaker. i know it isnt the speakers cuz i tried another pair and its still the same, everything seems set up properly too...does anyone know what i should do?
oh yeh its a rotel 'RX-803' if that helps

If have no experience, try to detect the defective channel, use finger-O-meter...

Touch the amplifiers small transistor with your finger...have to discover were are the power amplifiers.... and the input will be small transistors....two of them will be very near one related other...those are the input....touch in many ways there...nothing happened...that side is defective.... ask help to someone to put marks over each transistor that have connections to that burned channel....examine copper traces and watch for interruptions and signal of burns...black smoke or any sign of shorted circuit consequences.

If not fuse.... may be transistors..... the big majority of them are cheap...costing half of nothing!...expensive only output...and not too much .... one or two dollares each one.....so.

Better than search for details.... check only if some sign of fire is founded..... and go scrathing the transistor positions...remove one by one substituting with new units.... do not even check with meters if burned or not!....do not loose time.... substitute them all, one by one.

This is the easiest, and faster method to repair...used in many repair places around the world...they perceived that spend less time doing this way...and parts are not so expensive...time is expensive, patience too , those things are worst.... spend time and good mood!

If experienced you may be laughing..... but you may be wrong, because many times i checked that.... one experienced guys measuring and checking for troubles.... using schematic and all tools, Scopes, meters....and at his side a young teenager starting to make good solders......starting and knowing about half of nothing the one could repair equipment 4 times faster than the experienced one.

And "knowing nothing".... i new professional.... the man that goes replacing....changing parts...the CHANGENEER (Change-Engineer)

OH!..do not laugh to much because of Big fat Charlie here....you may be ashamed if try this "Stone Aged" method.

regards,

Carlos

Touching transistors with your finger, you will produce loud low frequency sound.

Your home is full of wires...and 60 hertz or 50 hertz mains are travelling and surrounding those wires you have enormous magnetic fields that can be captured by your body....

Human body is full of diluted metals, salt and watter...all them good to conduct energy..... and to capture electro magnetic fields...so, acting as an aerial...an antenna, you will capture those magnetic energy and will transform them in electricity.... touching the transistor input...it will amplify this low frequency that is using your body as an energy condutor (antenna wire)....a loud tone will be heard at speaker in the channel that is working....the other will not produce sound...this one...the silent one...is the one to have things replaced.

regards,

Carlos

Carlos is correct.

A good visual inspection will often point you in the right direction.
Look for electrolytic capacitors that have "bulged" on top.
Look for signs of heat.
If you find burned resistors, find out why they failed and repair the cause before you replace the bad resistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.