echo, reverb using bucket brigade delay lines from panasonic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey everyone,

Ever worked with or used panasonic's bucketbrigade delay lines IC's for producing the effects such as stereo imaging , reverb, echo, chorus etc.

Attached are some of the schematics of using these IC's.

please comment if any body knows about them.

best regards,
Kanwar

Attachments

• bbdl.jpg
    bbdl.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 840
If only you could find the chips. They've been discontinued long ago, and the guitar effects guys are desperately searching for last ones, paying even hunderd of bucks on ebay auctions.

If you could find some, you'll be rich...

Btw their sound is not good for hi-fi audio, they are somewhat slow, resulting in a noticeable high-frequency loss. Because of their warm sound, they're enjoyedc very much from guitar players... :D

Philips once had a chip called TDA1022 - a bucket brigade delay line. I considered using it for a hifi ambience setup, but I discovered, that there are limitations in the upper frequency. The upper limit is a function of the wanted delay, which is determined by the clock frequency. So I abandoned the idea.

Instead I found a delay line in some old Audio Amateur magazines.

But all this was 20 years ago . . .

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Oh man, yes but it's ugly. I've worked on old loop machines. The tape is in a long loop. There are multiple playback heads spaced out. Cool machine but maintenace heavy. I think some model could vary the tape speed as well.

I've heard of it being done on a reel to reel at 15 or 30 ips. Again a long loop spaced out from the machine by a pulley for longer delay times.

This is the best sounding way. Provided of course the equipment is in good shape and calibrated to your tape.

-Chris

Remember the SAD1024? Those were hard to get but I heard they may be available again somewhere.

-Chris

Hi Chris, experience talks !!
I still have a pair of thoses...
If my (BBD?) memory is good, there was also a cut down version SAD5XX.
Very good chip, but quite expensive at the time.

As for such a build, it s somewhat more expensive that buying and
old digital verb dating from the 80s/90s.
An Alesis Midiverb 1, 2 or 3 should cost less and provide hifi sound.
Heck, i even managed to find a Yamaha DSP100 for about 10 euros...

Attachments

• midiverb3 + yamaha dsp100.jpg
    midiverb3 + yamaha dsp100.jpg
    635.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I still have a bunch of SAD1024's that I was going to build A multi tap reverb with.

I also had I profesional delay unit that used them as well.
I don't remember the brand name as I sold it to a local pawn shop because one channel didn't work and I needed some quick cash.
The quality wasn't worth the effort to repair it.

It did have quite a long delay,2 seconds per channel I think.

The balanced inputs and outputs where barrier strip terminals instead of the normal XLR type connector. jer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.