Hiraga "Le Monstre"

It sure does make me wonder.. should I stay away from component dependent so called classic amps?

No pun intended to the original designer in any way, but sure makes me think twice if I should build one, what about 5 or 10 years down the line when there is a problem?

Its a generic question.
I had planned on a JLH ESL amp, but looking at current market, I think the devices may or may not be available in 5 or 10 years., Its getting serious for the investment required in a class A amp for me.

Last edited:
I built these amplifier with the original semis, does not sound bad of course. I do not believe those parts was picked 30-40 years a go or so can not be replaced with modern parts. I am not talking about Chinese made fake (Ebay sold) semiconductors. Someone in Australia built the amp and with Sanken power transistors sounded much better than the Toshiba. He used high quality parts including up to last the resistors.

Hiraga 8W

I build the Hiraga 8W class A amplifier some 30 years ago using the original parts. At that time the power transistors I received were already surface viped to hide the part numbers!
It still sounds really good having more than enough power for normal listening. I even used it at parties together with some home made JBL based PA speakers.
A few more pictures from the project are found on this Norwegian forum.

PCB close-up:

monster8Wclose.jpg

Simple solutions also work! PCB was made with ink pen... :)

pcb8w_big.gif

Amplifier chassis using an old main frame power supply:

monster8W.jpg

Party speakers:

mgPA_01.jpg

Do you have a link to the aforementioned construction?

For example Please go to page 77
The mentioned amplifier was built by DanielW from Australia
I also saw in the Hungarian DIY forum the amplifier was built a bunch of different transistors, J Fets and many claim the amp sound very pleasing or excellent.
I no longer interested on these project and has not much time to do research to help you further down the way in case you build it.
Sorry about that!:)
The same time I wanted to help you or give you some direction