GFA-555 parts upgrade/substitutions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've got a GFA-555 that has had water spilled on it (looks like), and it's pretty old anyway, so it looks like the repair will require replacing a number of the transistors. After looking at it, it appears that this has been done in the past as well, as there are several transistors with parts numbers that don't match the schematic I have (downloaded from...can't remember, but there were two different schematics available, and it wasn't the factory) and several that don't match from the left channel to the right channel. Specifically, many of the 2SC2240's have been replaced with 2SC3000's, and the 2SA970 looks like it's been replaced with something marked AMP A43 4G.

I'd like to bring this back to factory spec, or better. Are there any known substitutions which will improve the sound? Should I assume these random part variations came from the factory (doesn't seem likely, but maybe transistors are like resistors, and the brand doesn't matter too much...)?

If someone has the "real" parts list from a GFA-555 (and I understand there are at least two revisions of the 555 board, not counting the 555II...), that would be helpful, too. I downloaded two different schematics from the same source, but they don't match each other, and Nelson Pass commented that they didn't look familiar, so the factory may have changed his design a bit, for whatever reason....

Any help is welcome. Also, one of the output transistors is shorted out, letting 70V DC through to the output. Any clever tricks to determine which one, without pulling each one off the heatsink, unsoldering, etc...?

Thanks!

Mac
Maynard, MA
mhathaway@_nospaaaam_netway.com

Mac:
I know I am responding to an old post, but I was wondering if you ever got the amp to work?
A few months ago I had picked up a GFA-555 off eBay with a dead channel and incorrect driver substituitions. This was carefully restored to its former glory and now proudly drives my Def Tech speakers. The sound is really outstanding.
I can send you the parts list from the schematic used if you are still interested.
Mayank

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,
Firstly, when one output goes, change the lot in that channel. Change the driver for cheap insurance. I think the signal transistors are still available. Match the diff pair. Match the outputs if you can. Use new mica and grease. Do not over tighten the screws.

I tended to get better matches with MJ15024 and MJ15025 than the newer MJ2119X parts. Don't worry about the SOA too much, the originals were Toshiba 2SD424 and 2SB554.

Mayank, I just have the info off the web these days, could you send me what you have? bhomester at gmail dot com . I used to have the original manuals (don't any more :bawling: )

-Chris

Mac_Hath said:
Hi,
I've got a GFA-555 ... and it's pretty old anyway....
Mac
Maynard, MA
mhathaway@_nospaaaam_netway.com

Dear Sir,

just a question: your GFA 555 has fuses on the voltage rails?
Have you kept them or replaced with something with better specs?
I ask you this because I have a GFA 545 1st series and after cleaning the fuses ends the sound improved evidently.
Thank you very much indeed.
Regards,

beppe

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi beppe,
The amplifier should have local bypass capacitors on the output PCB's. Check them to make sure they are good. You can try to bypass them with a good film or foil capacitor. Do not up the value of the fuses. If you cleaned the oxides off the ends of the fuses and holders, you've done as much as you can. There are some expensive fuses I've heard about available, but I'm not sure they will help in this situation.

With regard to the capacitors on the output boards. I wouldn't install the large value caps as I've seen. Be aware that almost any part change will generate positive reports that are usually not supported when objective people compare the changes.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi beppe,
1) The amplifier should have local bypass capacitors on the output PCB's. Check them to make sure they are good. You can try to bypass them with a good film or foil capacitor.
With regard to the capacitors on the output boards. I wouldn't install the large value caps as I've seen.

2) Do not up the value of the fuses. If you cleaned the oxides off the ends of the fuses and holders, you've done as much as you can.
There are some expensive fuses I've heard about available, but I'm not sure they will help in this situation.

Be aware that almost any part change will generate positive reports that are usually not supported when objective people compare the changes.
-Chris

Dear Mr. Chris,
I am attaching a photo of the 545 interiors.

1) I cannot see any local bypass capacitors. Do you think it would be wise to add them ? and where ?

2) I have already decided not to bypass the 4A fuses on the voltage rails, nevertheless and maybe a replacement of them with something with better specs could be beneficial ?

Thank you very much indeed for your always kind and valuable advice.
Regards,

beppe

Attachments

• inside the adcom 545 _2.jpg
    inside the adcom 545 _2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,182
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi beppe,
Just shows you how good a memory can be. No bypasses on that one, I've been working on 565's and 585's lately. They do have them.

You can add something like 100uF on the circuit side of the fuse. My only concern is that it has to be done neatly and returned to the correct (noisy) ground. Some later Adcom amps like this did have those caps.

You can try to "tack" solder some in to the fuse clips and return the grounds to the power supply. This will prevent you having to pull the boards until you are sure you can hear a difference. Mount them close to the outputs if you want to install them on a permanent basis.

Just make sure the capacitors will not short to anything and that they do not get too hot.

-Chris

Re: GFA-555 Schematic & Parts List

Mayank said:
And the Parts List.
Mayank

Dear Mr. Mayank,

thank you very much for your uploads. Very kind of you.
I own a GFA 545 (the smaller brother of the 555 I think), that I find nice sounding but lacking in the bottom end.
So I am thinking about replacing it with a 555.
I would kindly like to know:
1) what is your opinion of this amp in general, expecially about its performance with demanding loads
2) what sort of mods your performed on the 555.

Kind regards,

beppe

Adcom GFA-555 Parts/Schematic/Modifications

Beppe:

I am *very* happy with the Adcom 555. It is a pleasure to hear both classical/jazz and the "newer" rock music reproduced so flawlessly by this amplifier. Personally, I like lots of bass, so I have them connected with Definitive Technologies BP2000TL speakers which are bipolar design and have a large active sub woofer built-in. The amplifier performs equally well with a modified pair of Radian Research speakers which have a bass-reflex. You can drive the speakers very hard, but still get almost no distortion after 5-6 hours of continuous play.

I had picked this amplifier on eBay. It was in a very poor condition - rusted, missing a lot of hardware, one dead channel and lot of missing/incorrect parts substitutions. My primary objective was to restore it to its former glory, which I am happy to say, I managed to do :cool:

The only modification I did was to replace the driver transistors in both the channels (the ones soldered in the amplifier were 2SB633/2SD613 however, the service manual had them listed as 2SA1011/2SC2344). I instead used the Motorola equivalents MJE15030/31 which have a higher rating of 150V.

I would recommend you do a search for GFA-555 and GFA-555 II on the solid state forum - I have seen a number of threads on modification ideas. Some include adding capacitors to get tighter bass, replacing the power switch et al.

Good Luck
Mayank

Re: Adcom GFA-555 Parts/Schematic/Modifications

Mayank said:
Beppe:
I am *very* happy with the Adcom 555.
It is a pleasure to hear both classical/jazz and the "newer" rock music reproduced so flawlessly by this amplifier.

Good Luck
Mayank

Dear Mr. Mayank,

thank you so much for your kind and extremely valuable reply.
My main concern is about the bass reproduction from a 555.
I have a pair of low impedance speakers and with these a "high current" amp is mandatory.
I understand that the 555 should be much more powerful than the 545 I own (roughly twice the power).
Have you test it full-range?
In case, what do you think of its bass reproduction?
I mean, is the bass deep, strong and controlled ?

Kind regards,

beppe

SY said:
I use a 555 to drive my subwoofers.
The bass is everything you'd want.

Dear Mr. Sy,

thank you very much for your reply.
Is the bass you get from your subs tight but also deep and powerful, i.e. a state of the art bass?
Which kind of woofers are employed in your subs?
Low impedance?

Kind regards,

beppe

SY said:
My woofers are a pair of JBL 2245H 45cm, sealed box, floor-loaded. Medium impedance.
Deep and tight are "sous entendu."

Thank you so much again Mr. Sy,

so I have missed the right amp having purchased a smaller GFA 545.
Looking inside and seeing a nice output stage I have even thought to replace the main transformer with a bigger one (or two, one per channel).
What is your opinion?
Could I gain some more current replacing the transformer ?
Or it would be better to go hunting a 555 1st series model?

Thank you very much indeed and please excuse my poor English.
Kind regards,

beppe

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi beppe,
I used to service these under warranty, along with many other respected brands. I have a lot of respect for them as a result. You can't go too far wrong with one of these amps.

I have found that if you blow one up, you probably deserve it. They will put up with some abuse for sure. They do have the ability to control a woofer well.

The mid and high frequency response of these is pretty good. There are better amps and higher prices (and personal tastes). You can do a whole lot worse as well.

Try to keep in mind that you will have about 3 dB more power, but you will notice it has more "authority". Good choice.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.