Musical Fidelity- Do you know it well?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey gang...

I'm going to purcahse the Martin Logan Aeon-i Speakers and have been shopping around for amps. The martin logans if you know them are power hungry and picky.

I have been seriously looking at Musical Fidelity to pair up with the ML's. Because of the price and selection I have available to me I was going to get the Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated Amplifier and the A308cr CD Player.

Today I went back to the store and saw that they had the new Musical Fidelity A5 Series- (CD and Integrated amp). This shop is offering it for the exact same price as the A308 Series, well, slightly more but not enough to make a difference to my wallet.

The dealer is telling me that the A308 series is much better quality than the A5 series, and that the A5 is a new release to a series that is cheaper than the A308's. • Is this true?

Also, the A5 has 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms, while the A308 has 300 watts into 4 ohms. • Should I take this into account with ML speakers?

I have an audition set up for next week so I will ultimately let my ears be the judge, but it's important for me that I'm not taken advantage of since to the best of my knowledge the A308 is phased out. I actually thought the A5 Series was replacing the A308. • Are they just trying to push an older model on me to make a sale?

Any advice to help me make a better decision would be greatly appreciated. I have only one chance to make the right purchase and then my wife says I can't spend anymore on HiFi.

Thank you!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.