Another amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i finaly set my bias right....

at 54V rail, it worked to set it at 1.8 mA...

the amp is working fine but,boy is it getting hot..., and i don't mean the final transistors, because i have a huge heat sink, and a big fan...

but the mje340/350, and the mje 15030/31 are getting hot..., i supose i will put them a bigger heat sink...

the amp, sounds good, easy to build...nice sound, cheap...

i can hardly wait, to test it on a osciloscope, to see how it preforms there...

For any persons Interested, I have Cleaned up and Re-Drawn the Schematic.

http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Projects/Misc-PCB

I Agree with: amplifierguru, Especially on the Supply Rails.
The Amp that I Designed and currently use is Less Power than this one and I used a Decoupling circuit on its supply rails.
So I plan to make a Few Revisions on this one in the near future.

Probably also a revised board at some point.

But it is Becoming Gardening Time so that may be awhile.

Take care...........Gary
PS: I'll give it another week and than Anounce the Winner.

Before committing myself to ordering all the parts I need, I have a few questions for those that have already built them or are in the process of building theirs. BTW: I live in the US.

1. I know of several places to get most of the parts (Avnet, DigiKey, Arrow). What places do you people recommend?

2. Where can I get a heat sink of such large proportions (like the one pictured on the author's web page)?

3. Since there is a huge variety of parts, what kinds of capacitors are used? (I'm used to seeing the ceramic and electolytic...not the square ones that are pictured.)

4. I'm planning to build a dual-channel amp. Will the power supply be sufficient to run both channels? (I will be using a 500VA 2x37 Torid).

Thanks in advance.

desert00rat said:
[B
3. Since there is a huge variety of parts, what kinds of capacitors are used? (I'm used to seeing the ceramic and electolytic...not the square ones that are pictured.)

4. I'm planning to build a dual-channel amp. Will the power supply be sufficient to run both channels? (I will be using a 500VA 2x37 Torid).
[/B]

500W is sufficient for both channels only at 8 ohms... for 4 ohm, you should use a bigger transformer...

also, i think a 37V ac is a bit low...(50V cc)

i am using a 550W normat transformer, 44V ac, 58 cc...

C3,4 -normal, electolytic
C2,5,8-ceramic
C1,6,7-have to be non-polar,non-electolytic , and also non-ceramic ... there are lots of other types(i just don't know how they are called....), for ex: mkt, film , multy-layer...

and C7 has to be at least 200V...

the transstors, 15030/31 work in class A or class AB...???

the pcb's arrived and they r good

Attachments

• m250one.jpg
    m250one.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,165
And the final question is:

is it absoloutely essential that the amp runs off a dual rail power supply. it's just that i've found a tordial transformer in RS which has 2 55 volt outputs and if i use it as a dual rail it will give me an output of 110v- the same as in the us

there is NOTHING wrong in the schematic....

it works fine...

the amp run's on dual power suply...
a simple power can NOT be used...

if the transformer has an output of 2*55V AC this will be 2*75V dc,and you can't use this much voltage..

i would sugest a 2*60V dc max

is this your first amp??? if it is i would sugest you read a little more about amplifiers...

after you build it before testing it relace the fuses with a 50-120 ohm 3-5W resistor ,because if you did something wron smoke will come out of these resistors and not out of the output transistors :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.