On/Off Switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have make a on/off switch for my amp as turn off the amp if there is a power cut.
I also would use only one single switch. (it looks more professional) There is many suchlike circuit diagram but all of them has voltage on the electronics when the amp is off.

Some advantages with this circuit:
If you have a amp with a big transformer and a main switch for all the wall outlet, then the main switch will be blown after a while,
if you don't turn off the amp before you tur on the main switch.
There is no voltage on the electronics when the amp is turned off.

Attachments

• toggle relay.jpg
    toggle relay.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,895
AndrewT: Yes, it is correct, you need three relays.
I'm not sure if I understand your question but you can of-course use 12 or 24 V relays and in addition use a rectifier to make DC.

Bill Fitzpatrick: I thought the same but I have been looking for a switch with this function for several months now. I you find a switch I will be very interest.

Hi,
to rephrase my question.
I like the real off (not standby) and the revert to off when power fails that your switching system provides.
Keeping to that philosophy, can you design a modification to allow a LV transformer to be switched on by your system that also provides the power to pull in the relays and again transformer off with switch off or power fail?

I am almost positive that MicroSwitch makes what you want. I assume that you have called switch distributors?

Also, there are some machine tool switches that will do it but they tend to be large.

And, yes, a 3 position toggle with one position momentary would do but you still need one pair of n.o. relay contacts.

Yes, I have called some switch distributors.
It is possible to use a relay with two coils (set and reset) and a chip manufactured by Nais, VS5-24.
But this chip require 4-30VDC and I don't want any voltage on the transformer or on the electronics when I shut down the amplifier.
Some distributors also had swithes which can handle this, but the switches is very big because they were designed to use with industrial equipment.

Sounds like you want something on the same lines as the failsafe switches fitted to machine tools etc. These (at least the older type) usually involve a contactor, which is really just a heavy-duty relay with mechanical override, which could be arranged just as easily with a smaller relay. You would still need a seperate 'off' button though, unless you could arrange a pair of break contacts on the mechanical actuator.

I have in my junkbox a switch made by Airpax which does just what you want - press the toggle down for on, up for off, and it reverts to the off position under no-voltage conditions. I don't know if it's a 'special', but it might be worth investigating.

AndrewT said:
Hi Em...
How are the contacts in the 1.1 & 1.2 connected to latch in the switch?

d1.1 and d1.2 are NO contacts (Normal Open)
They are connected like as shown in the schematics.

AndrewT said:

...Does a second press unlatch the relays?

Yes.

AndrewT said:

...Does loss of power unlatch the relays?

Yes.

The new schematic toggle2relays_3.png, attached
contains a table wich will clarify the functioning of the circuit.

Attachments

• toggle2relays_3.png
    toggle2relays_3.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 638
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.