DC offset in my p3a- need help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I just finished an ESP p3a amp, and I can't get it to work. When I turn it on, the LED's light up and the amp remains cool, but I'm measuring huge DC offset in the output. I am getting +25v in one channel, and -42v in the other. None of the transistors look burned out, and no fuses blew. I am not using Rod's PCB's, but put the components on a breadboard and connected them with short lengths of hookup wire. Also, I am using the maximum allowable voltage (42v) in the supply, but I didn't think this would be a problem, since I have 8ohm speakers. Again, nothing appears to have burnt out, but it is unusable. If anyone knows some points on the schematic to take measurements from, I would really like to see them. I have a digital camera, and can post pictures if anyone would like to see them.

Did that with the outputs, and with the others a little while earlier. The problem might be with the inputs (BC546). different manufacturers use different pin arrangements for them, e.g. Fairchild and OnSemi have C,B,E from left to right, Philips has E,B,C. But I probably would have burnt them by hooking them up the wrong way around. What perplexes me is that I have the supply voltage as the DC offset in one channel.

dmitriy167 said:
different manufacturers use different pin arrangements for them, e.g. Fairchild and OnSemi have C,B,E from left to right, Philips has E,B,C. But I probably would have burnt them by hooking them up the wrong way around..

Exchanging C & E seems only to degrade quality, i tried once, and
the only thing measured was a drop of hfe down to 10.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.