Classification Mess Up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All.

Hope you can help me out here.

At University of Aalborg numerous studentgroups are building class AB amps. Most of us need to explain the other classes commonly used for audio.

Now, according to posts and articles in this forum class G is the class where 2 or more sets of output transistors are placed "on top of each other" with different levels of DC-voltage

Class H is 1 set of output transistors (fx. 5 NPN and 5 PNP - could be any number) but here the supply voltage is raised as needed.

It happens so that i agree with the above mentioned classification. Along other brands, QSC-audio agrees with me. However this homepage and at least one book containing amplifier theory (haven´t recieved author and title yet but will post it) states otherwise.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Electronic_amplifier#Class_G

In general: What do you think is Class G and what is Class H?

:confused:

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before - i haven´t been able to find it.

Thanks for your time

Hans-Henning / Denmark

I agree with the definitions in the link. Class G switches between two or more supply voltages to keep power dissipation in the output devices at a minimum. Class H is the same except it varies the supply voltage smoothly. What you describe is a variation of class G where the second pair of output transistors handles the higher rails.

You find some disagreement over the exact definition because they aren't official classifications.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.