trafo outputting higher than rated Vdc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on the PS of my gainclone and have a couple of CHIA YU LU (sp?) trafos that I'm running through MUR860 diode bridges. When I hooked it up and powered it, I read ~+-22Vdc. A few days later after putting snubber caps (.022mfd, 200V) across each diode, it now reads ~+-26Vdc. I'm no EE, so could someone please clue me in on what might have happened? Can caps raise the output voltage? If so, it's certainly news to me. BTW, I smelled and heard nothing indicating any problems and the voltages were steady across all four output voltages.

thanks
tim

The amplifier chips are not hooked up to the PSU yet. I just checked the voltages coming out of the bridge with it hooked up to nothing.

The thought of pulling off those 16 caps off to test is a bit of a drag. It was a minor PITA soldering those p-t-p across the mur860's.

I made the same measurement before without snubber caps and without load and got +-22Vdc. I have another set of trafos that measure +-18Vdc at the bridge without load, which is its rated voltage. So two out of three measurements saw no significant increase over rating without load. What would be different here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.