Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Zero Feedback Impedance Amplifiers
Zero Feedback Impedance Amplifiers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2020, 03:03 PM   #1711
Susan_Parker is offline Susan_Parker  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer coupled Sub-Bass...

This is a very short movie clip of my transformer coupled Sub-Bass speaker in action, it really is running this slowly it is not a video-effects speed-change.

The Driver is a Vibe SPACE 15D4, 15 inch (ca. 38 cm) 3600 Watt Subwoofer.
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 MOV_0090_Trim2.mp4 (5.32 MB, 60 views)
Old 23rd August 2020, 01:37 AM   #1712
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_Parker View Post
Hi Tony,

I made up a dual stage LC filter for a 48V SMPS which did the job.
As the switching frequency is high compared to the mains it is much easier to smooth things out and one can hand wind one's own chokes to optimise them.
However, there can still be near-field pickup from the PSU itself which makes sorting out what is real and what happens to be seen by the scope to be "interesting".

I am using an external +24V brick type psu for one of my preamps, the one that drives the centre speaker in our 5.1 setup which is SE. Seems to be working fine.
thank you....
Old 23rd August 2020, 10:09 AM   #1713
Joao@AltheaMusica is offline Joao@AltheaMusica  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_Parker View Post
Hi Joao,

I use industrial rated electrolytic capacitors, with the best working lifetime I can afford.

When the power-supply is in standby, the main electrolytic is not powered; just a small capacitor to keep a DC voltage after the rectifier.

The power into the electrolytic is current limited to a maximum of 10A peak and half that for turn-on, so there is not the normal turn-on surge which is the main thing that gets the bigger old electrolytics. The cap takes a second or two to power up to full rail.

The power-supply circuit is more complicated than the amplifier itself.

That's what I expected Looking / comparing the datasheets from the "audio grade" caps with industrial grade could be astonishing for many diy builders (lifetime, temperature, ripple current etc.)
Can you explain the sonic benefits of your circuit to normal follower circuits (tube, solid state).... my experience on the common circuits are sonical not the my "cup of tea" but maybe your findings look interesting to me.
Old 6th September 2020, 12:03 PM   #1714
vince76 is offline vince76  Italy
diyAudio Member

Someone has STW34NB20?
Or Other Susan suggested for the project?
Matched would be better.
Thanks
V
  Reply to this post

Zero Feedback Impedance AmplifiersHide this!Advertise here!