Tantalum resistors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking at overhauling my marantz 1060 integrated amplifier fo its 3oth birthday, but I need some help. I am looking for what is the best carbon film resitor and carbon comp resistor. I have been told that tantalum resistors are the way to go? What should I do??? The current stock resistors are too old, and generate way too much noise. I also need to replace all the electrolytics, and suggestions for an appropiate replacement brand for old elna, nippon-chemi con capacitors? Does anyonw know the composition of these older Marantz amp caps? Any iformation about these parts would be serioulsy appreciated. I am also interested in replacing the trnsformer ( EI) with a toroid, any suggestions? Holden& Fisher??? Jeff

Tantalum resistors?

You must be totally in love with that old lady.
The choice of parts will largely depend upon desire whether to retain the general character of sound or not. The tants, while being very good for new designs, will completely transform the sound and you may not be entirely happy with the results. Kiwame resistors may be a good match for the originals, but who knows? I would seriously think before going crazy with the total makeover and only replace a few components. The same is true about the caps - get the same or similar brands.
As for the mains transformer - i just cannot imagine any sensible reason for replacing it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.