240V DIY'ers, Please help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, My name is Adam and I'm a 23 year old guy from Israel.
I need your help
I'm new to the forums and actually I don't know a thing about DIY! I'm about to study electronics so one day you'll hear from me..

I'm here because I'm looking for a good amp for my new speakers. Prices in Israel are extremely high (about double then US), and customs for amps are %70 :dead:
I think that the only way to get away cheap with a good amp is to have a DIY one made for me and sent to Israel. Since it's not commercial, the value could be stated really low!
So I'm asking from one of you guys that has 240V power as well, do build an amp for me. I don't know how to rate DIY works in price but the cheaper- the better. Lots of money will have to go to the acoustics and my wallet is about to be traumatized..

I think that the Opti-Mos will do the trick.
Who is willing to help?

Thanks a lot
Adam
adam_harzuf@yahoo.com

One off amps

The fact a DIYer is from a 240V country is irrelevant. We do 120/240V amps all the time here in the US. However, a one off amp from a DIYer, if any good will cost you far more than a commercial amp and won't have any warranty rill you know ahead of time what it may sound like. Quality of construction could be anything from excellent down to awful.

The point of DIY is DO IT YOURSELF. If you cannot or will not DIY then go and buy a commercial amp, even if the duty and taxes are 70%. You will be better off in the long run. If you want someone to build you an amp, find somone in your country, that you can meet in person, to do it for you. There are skilled people in every country and if Israel can build nuclear weapons, I am sure you can find someone skilled enough to build an amplifier there.

Hehe, I thought so as well. Thanks for the advice.
I found someone in here, actually, it's a good friend that I first didn't think he will have the time to help.
I talked to the customs and getting only electronics components ain't so bad, so I'm cool :)

Moderator, please delete the thread, thank you :)

Adam,

I agree categorically with Dan.

You have a variety of public domain designs from which to choose; you could do the JLH Class A, or any one of a number of good designs from Nelson Pass, available on his website.

If you are going to make your own amplifier, perhaps you need to be sure it will sound good, since it will be your pride and joy. It's difficult to know what to choose, but there are DIY kits around (including my own of course!) which give you most of the components, but importantly give you a pcb which makes it much easier and guarantees a working amp first time.

You will find plenty of people in Israel with the necessary skills and experience. It is a technologically advanced country. And even in the so-called Third World countries you will find plenty of people with excellent technical know how. There are people passionate about electronics all over the world.

Good Luck and cheers,

Hugh

Yup, yup, I have the guy already, I'll order the PCB's today I hope, all is well, thank you very much :)

I'm going for the Opti-Mos. I can get only the PCB's for my man and get most of the parts in Israel and avoid the customs and all.
He will build it no problem from the PCB.

I would love to get a PCB for the AKSA, which was my first intention, but I know it's not possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.